Capacitance in a Cylinder: Which Direction is the Voltage Calculated?

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of voltage in a problem involving capacitance of a coaxial cable with opposite charges on the inner and outer cylinders. It was determined that the voltage should be calculated from b to a in order to produce a positive value, and an error in the original calculation was discovered and corrected.
sebby_man
Hi everyone

In most problems I've seen involving capacitance of a coaxial cable, there is an inner cylinder of radius a with +Q charge and and an outer cylinder of radius b with -Q charge. The voltage is calculated from a to b. However, in this problem the inner cylinder is -Q and the outer is +Q. In this case, would I still find the voltage from a to b, or would I find the voltage from b to a? The answer key suggests that the voltage is calculated from a to b, but I'm not sure why.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi,

You should calculate the voltage in that way that produces a positive voltage. The cause is capacitance always is a positive number. If the inner cylinder has -Q charge, the integral for voltage should be made from b to a.

I apologize for my english. I hope this can be clear for you.

Ok, so if I'm finding the voltage from b to a, then I need to calculate the integral of E dr from a to b? The answer of the integral is then [q/(2*pi*height*epsilon_0)]*ln(a/b). This seems right to me (unless I've made some simple mistake inbetween), yet the book says it should be ln(b/a) instead.

ln (a/b)=-ln(b/a)

It´s only a matter of sign

Turns out I had made a simple mistake in my calculations. Instead of [q/(2*pi*height*epsilon_0)]*ln(a/b) I should have written [-q/(2*pi*height*epsilon_0)]*ln(a/b) because the charge of the inner cylinder is negative. Thanks for helping me realize my careless mistake.

Related to Capacitance in a Cylinder: Which Direction is the Voltage Calculated?

What is capacitance in a cylinder?

Capacitance in a cylinder refers to the ability of a cylindrical object to store electrical charge. It is a measure of the amount of charge that can be stored on the surface of the cylinder for a given potential difference between the two ends of the cylinder.

How is capacitance in a cylinder calculated?

Capacitance in a cylinder can be calculated using the formula C = 2πε0L / ln(b/a), where C is the capacitance, ε0 is the permittivity of free space, L is the length of the cylinder, and a and b are the inner and outer radii of the cylinder.

What factors affect the capacitance of a cylinder?

The capacitance of a cylinder is affected by its length, radius, and the material it is made of. It also depends on the distance between the two ends of the cylinder and the surrounding environment.

How does capacitance in a cylinder differ from that of a parallel plate capacitor?

While both a cylinder and a parallel plate capacitor can store electrical charge, the shape and dimensions of the objects affect their capacitance. A cylinder has a higher capacitance compared to a parallel plate capacitor with the same surface area due to its curved shape and larger surface area.

What are the applications of capacitance in a cylinder?

Capacitance in a cylinder has various applications, including in electronic circuits, sensors, and energy storage devices. It is also used in capacitive touch screens and in various medical devices such as pacemakers and defibrillators.