Calculating Capacitance of Two Electrodes with Varying Distance

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the capacitance for two electrodes with different distances between them. The approach is to use the formula C=εA/d, where A is 0.012 m2, and d is 0.001 m on the left and 0.002 m on the right. The capacitance for each part is calculated using this formula and then the overall capacitance is found by adding them together since they are in parallel. The conversation also mentions a separate question about a semi-infinite well.
StillAnotherDave
Homework Statement
Finding the capacitance of two electrodes...
Relevant Equations
C=εA/d
1584729605917.png

Can I get some help in answering this questions?

As I understand, for two electrodes:

C=εA/d

A = 0.012 m2
d = 0.001 m on the left and d = 0.002 m on the right.

Thus the capacitance of each part is:

Left: C = (εx0.012)/0.001

Right: C= (εx0.012)/0.002

Firstly, is this the right approach? Secondly, what next? Do you simply add the two values to get the overall capacitance?

Help greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• 1584712881344.png
    1584712881344.png
    1.7 KB · Views: 104
Physics news on Phys.org
StillAnotherDave said:
Firstly, is this the right approach?
Yes :oldsmile:

Secondly, what next? Do you simply add the two values to get the overall capacitance?
Follow the hint. Can you consider these two capacitances as being in parallel or series? If so, which one?

To me, they look to be in parallel. Hence C = C1 + C2. Correct?

Yes. That's right.

Great! Now if you can just turn your attention to my semi-infinite well question ... :wink:

Appreciate the help.

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electric charge. It is measured in units of farads (F).

2. How is capacitance calculated?

Capacitance is calculated by dividing the electric charge on one of the electrodes by the potential difference between the two electrodes.

3. How does the distance between the two electrodes affect capacitance?

The capacitance is inversely proportional to the distance between the two electrodes. This means that as the distance increases, the capacitance decreases.

4. What factors affect the capacitance of two electrodes?

The capacitance of two electrodes is affected by the size and shape of the electrodes, the distance between them, and the material they are made of.

5. How can capacitance be increased?

Capacitance can be increased by increasing the surface area of the electrodes, decreasing the distance between them, or using a material with a higher dielectric constant.