Capacitance & Potential Difference Question

In summary, a parallel plate capacitor with a capacitance of 5.2 µF and a dielectric constant of 4.0 is charged by a 1.8-V battery. After disconnecting the capacitor and removing the dielectric slab, the capacitance decreases to 1.3 µF. As the charge remains constant, the potential difference across the capacitor becomes 6.45 V.
vbgirl

Homework Statement

A parallel plate capacitor of capacitance 5.2 µF has the space between the plates filled with a slab of glass with κ = 4.0. The capacitor is charged by attaching it to a 1.8-V battery. After the capacitor is disconnected from the battery, the dielectric slab is removed.
Question: What is the potential difference after the glass is removed?

Homework Equations

Formula:
Q=Cx[tex]\Delta V[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Q= ( 5.2 X 1.8 )/2
I have gotten 4.68 but it is wrong. I am not sure what I am doing wrong

Physics news on Phys.org
vbgirl said:
Q= ( 5.2 X 1.8 )/2
I have gotten 4.68 but it is wrong. I am not sure what I am doing wrong

Well, can you explain your strategy? What prompted the above equation?

Hmm should be Q= 1.8 C=5.2 and solve for V instead, for this question. But not sure how to solve for the difference.

When the capacitor is first connected to the battery, what is the charge that ends up on the capacitor?

It should be 9.36e-6 coulomb

Last edited:
Okay. Now, when the battery is disconnected, that charge remains on the capacitor.

When the dielectric slab is removed from between the plates, what happens to the capacitance value of the capacitor?

It is decreased since the distance between the plates increases.

vbgirl said:
It is decreased since the distance between the plates increases.

Not quite. The plates remain at the same separation, but the dielectric constant for air is different than that for the glass. Can you determine the value of the capacitance without the slab in place?

(HINT: it involves the dielectric constant, κ)

Last edited:
Would the capacitance become 1/4th of original since air is k= 1.0 to the initial k= 4.0 of glass? Resulting in C= 1.3e-6

That's right.

Now, the capacitor still has the same charge on it (it stays with the plates). So, given its (new) value and charge, what is the voltage across it?

Not sure if this is right, but I get 9.36e-6/1.3e-6=7.2V

If all the steps you took were right, how could the answer be anything else? :smile:

Your result is good.

Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it.

okay so here's what i did ..
as q remains constant.. by the first data we get it as q=5.2 x 1.8 (as q=cv)
then .. as the dielectric slab is removed we get c as 5.8/4 [as k=c(medium)/c]
replace in the original equation we get v = 9.36/1.45 which is 6. 45 (as v=q/c and q remains contant)
so here u go .. acc. to me the answer is 6.45:wink:

oh lol .. new at this .. didnt even see the year when this was posted ! ;p

Related to Capacitance & Potential Difference Question

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a capacitor to store electrical charge when a voltage is applied to it. It is measured in Farads (F).

2. How is capacitance calculated?

The capacitance of a capacitor is calculated by dividing the electric charge on one plate by the potential difference between the two plates. Mathematically, it can be represented as C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is charge, and V is potential difference.

3. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electrical circuit. It is measured in volts (V).

4. How does capacitance affect potential difference?

Capacitance and potential difference are inversely proportional to each other. This means that as the capacitance increases, the potential difference decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the formula V = Q/C, where V is potential difference, Q is charge, and C is capacitance.

5. Why is capacitance important in electronics?

Capacitance is an important concept in electronics as it allows for the storage of electrical energy and can be used in various applications such as filters, oscillators, and power supplies. It also plays a crucial role in the functioning of electronic devices, such as computers and smartphones.