Capacitive coupling clamp not working as expected

• Thread starter Nikhil N
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coupling
In summary, the conversation discusses the creation of a capacitive coupling clamp using aluminium and the issue of only seeing 6V across the plates when a burst signal of 500V is fed. The person working on the project is unsure about the source impedance of their source and asks for help understanding it. They also mention having a chattering relay circuit that can produce bursts of up to 4KV and are trying to connect it to the clamp, but are not seeing the expected results. They also have a question about the power of the burst and its effects on the process, particularly in terms of the number of electrons that come to the plate.
Nikhil N
I just made a capacitive coupling clamp with aluminium. When I fed a burst signal of 500V, I could only see 6V across the plates. I have used 1.5mm thickness aluminium sheet. Why its not working as expected?
1.JPG

Engineering news on Phys.org
Nikhil N said:
I just made a capacitive coupling clamp with aluminium. When I fed a burst signal of 500V, I could only see 6V across the plates. I have used 1.5mm thickness aluminium sheet. Why its not working as expected?View attachment 203785
Nice, an EN 61000-4-4 Burst clamp for IO lines. What is the source impedance of your source? Can you post a schematic?

berkeman said:
Nice, an EN 61000-4-4 Burst clamp for IO lines. What is the source impedance of your source? Can you post a schematic?
I am first time working in this area, so I didn't understand source impedance of what you are asking. I have a chattering relay circuit, which can produce burst of upto 4KV and I am trying to connect the burst to the capacitive coupling clamp. But I am not seeing the burst coupled with the signals in communication lines.

I have one doubt regarding this, Will the power of burst effects anywhere in this process? Why I am asking is, the current is the rate of change of electrone's flow, so if we are coupling the burst with capacitive way we have to take care the no. of electrons that comes to the plate na? I know the voltage of my burst but I didnt measure the current.

1. Why is my capacitive coupling clamp not working?

There could be several reasons why your capacitive coupling clamp is not working as expected. It could be due to incorrect setup or connection, a faulty clamp component, or interference from external sources. It is important to troubleshoot and identify the specific issue in order to determine the solution.

2. What is capacitive coupling and how does it work?

Capacitive coupling is a method of transmitting electrical signals between two conductors without a direct physical connection. It works by creating an electric field between the two conductors, which allows the signal to be transferred through the air. This method is often used in electronic devices to prevent interference and signal loss.

3. Can I use any type of clamp for capacitive coupling?

No, not all clamps are suitable for capacitive coupling. You need to use a specific type of clamp that is designed for this purpose, which typically has a high impedance and low capacitance. Using the wrong type of clamp can result in inaccurate readings or signal interference.

4. How can I improve the performance of my capacitive coupling clamp?

To improve the performance of your capacitive coupling clamp, make sure to use a high-quality and properly calibrated clamp. You can also minimize interference by keeping the clamp away from other electronic devices and sources of electromagnetic interference. Additionally, adjusting the sensitivity and gain settings of the clamp can also help improve its performance.

5. Can a capacitive coupling clamp be used for all types of electronic devices?

No, capacitive coupling clamps are typically used for high-frequency applications such as testing and measuring electronic devices. They may not be suitable for all types of devices, especially those with low-frequency signals. It is important to consult the manufacturer's instructions and specifications to determine if the clamp is suitable for your specific device.