Capacitor Network: C1,C2 & C3 in Series & Parallel

In summary, the question asks for the net capacitance of a circuit consisting of capacitors C1 and C2 connected in series and then in parallel with capacitor C3. The relevant equations are Q=CV, Ceq=C1+C2+C3 for capacitors in parallel, and 1/Ceq=1/C1+1/C2+1/C3 for capacitors in series. To solve for the net capacitance, the second equation is used and then the total capacitance is equal to the series connection plus the capacitance of C3. The problem statement is to find the net capacitance, and if 26.0 V is applied across the circuit, the voltage across each capacitor can be calculated using the given numerical
GoldWing

Homework Statement

Capacitors C1 and C2 are connected in series and this combination is connected in parallel with capacitor C3.
HW8_2.jpg

Homework Equations

Q=CV
Ceq=C1+C2+C3 equivalent capacitance for capacitors in parallel
1/Ceq=1/C1+1/C2+1/C3 equivalent capacitance for capacitors in series

The Attempt at a Solution

The question says that C1 and C2 are connected in series, so I would use the second equation, so I would have 1/C=1/C1+1/C2, but then I don't know how I would add that to C3.

Physics news on Phys.org
Say you get x for the series connection and y is the capacitance of C3, the total capacitance equals x+y.

what is the problem statement?

rude man said:
what is the problem statement?
I'm sorry, I thought I had stated this. The question is: What is the net capacitance?
If 26.0 V is applied across the whole network, calculate the voltage across each capacitor. Use the numerical values of capacitance given, C1 = 2.98 μF, C2 = 4.15 μF, and C3 = 1.64 μF.

Related to Capacitor Network: C1,C2 & C3 in Series & Parallel

What is a capacitor network?

A capacitor network is a combination of multiple capacitors connected together in a circuit. Capacitors are electronic components used to store and release electric charge.

What is the difference between series and parallel capacitor networks?

In a series capacitor network, the capacitors are connected end-to-end, with the positive terminal of one capacitor connected to the negative terminal of the next. In a parallel capacitor network, the capacitors are connected side-by-side, with all the positive terminals connected together and all the negative terminals connected together.

How do capacitors in series affect the overall capacitance of the network?

When capacitors are connected in series, the overall capacitance decreases. This is because the effective capacitance is equal to the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual capacitor's capacitance.

How do capacitors in parallel affect the overall capacitance of the network?

When capacitors are connected in parallel, the overall capacitance increases. This is because the effective capacitance is equal to the sum of each individual capacitor's capacitance.

What is the purpose of using a capacitor network?

Capacitor networks are used to increase the overall capacitance in a circuit, which can help stabilize voltage, filter out noise, and store energy. They are commonly used in electronic devices and power supplies.