1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitor Problem

1. Oct 11, 2007 #1
    A capacitor is charged to 1 coulomb; the capacitance is 9.00×10-5 farads.
    Then a switch is closed which puts the capacitor in a closed circuit with a resistor; the resistance is 9.00 ohms.

Calculate the charge on the capacitor after 4.00 milliseconds. (1 ms = 0.001 s).

I know some equations relating capacitance, charge, and voltage, but I don't understand how to approach this problem.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2007 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Look up "RC time constant" and the associated equation for a discharging capacitor.

4. Oct 11, 2007 #3
    Time Constant is T=RC;

but I don't know how to use this equation to solve my problem.

5. Oct 11, 2007 #4

Doc Al

That's just the definition of the time constant, not the capacitor discharge equation that uses it. Read this: Charging a Capacitor (Charging and discharging are inverse operations.)

6. Oct 11, 2007 #5
    Still not making sense. I don't know the value of Q0 or V. Someone please help.

7. Oct 11, 2007 #6

Doc Al

Q0 is given in your first post; you don't need V. Don't you have a textbook?

[tex]Q = Q_0 e^{{-t}/{RC}}[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?