Charge on Capacitor After 4.00ms: Solving the Problem

• Thread starter Ryo124
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitor
In summary, a capacitor with a charge of 1 coulomb and capacitance of 9.00×10-5 farads is connected in a closed circuit with a resistor of 9.00 ohms. Using the equation for discharging a capacitor, Q = Q_0 e^{{-t}/{RC}}, the charge on the capacitor after 4.00 milliseconds can be calculated. The value of Q_0 is given, and the value of V is not needed. The concept of RC time constant can be helpful in solving this problem.
Ryo124
A capacitor is charged to 1 coulomb; the capacitance is 9.00×10-5 farads.
Then a switch is closed which puts the capacitor in a closed circuit with a resistor; the resistance is 9.00 ohms.

Calculate the charge on the capacitor after 4.00 milliseconds. (1 ms = 0.001 s).

I know some equations relating capacitance, charge, and voltage, but I don't understand how to approach this problem.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look up "RC time constant" and the associated equation for a discharging capacitor.

Time Constant is T=RC;

but I don't know how to use this equation to solve my problem.

That's just the definition of the time constant, not the capacitor discharge equation that uses it. Read this: Charging a Capacitor (Charging and discharging are inverse operations.)

Still not making sense. I don't know the value of Q0 or V. Someone please help.

Q0 is given in your first post; you don't need V. Don't you have a textbook?

[tex]Q = Q_0 e^{{-t}/{RC}}[/tex]

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical charge by using two conductive plates separated by an insulating material.

2. What is the formula for calculating charge on a capacitor?

The formula for calculating charge on a capacitor is Q = CV, where Q is the charge in coulombs, C is the capacitance in farads, and V is the voltage across the capacitor.

3. How do you solve for the charge on a capacitor after 4.00ms?

To solve for the charge on a capacitor after 4.00ms, you would use the formula Q = CV and substitute in the given values for capacitance and voltage. Then, you would multiply the resulting charge by 4.00 milliseconds to account for the time factor.

4. What is the unit of measurement for charge on a capacitor?

The unit of measurement for charge on a capacitor is coulombs (C).

5. Can you determine the charge on a capacitor after 4.00ms without knowing the voltage?

No, the charge on a capacitor cannot be determined without knowing the voltage. The formula Q = CV requires both capacitance and voltage to solve for the charge.