1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Capacitors in common emitter audio amplifier

1. Apr 23, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello. When I looked at my lab manual, I saw the capacitor CB is connected in reversed direction. The AC source is connected to resistor RS, then connected to the negative polarity of CB. But I have no idea why it connects in reverse. Can please anyone tell me the reason? I have tried to connect capacitor in reverse ( not in this audio amplifier) and the capacitor exploded.

2eekh2x.jpg

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 23, 2012 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

The average of the voltage from your signal generator is 0V. The average of the voltage at the junction of R1 and R2 is some positive voltage. Electrolytic capacitors must be connected so average polarity is observed, otherwise they may explode. Instead of maintaining an insulating dielectric, the reversed polarity can destroy part of the dielectric causing a short circuit and high fault current inside the capacitor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook