Why Can External Road Forces Be Neglected in a Collision Analysis?

• Thread starter Westin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car Truck
In summary: Therefore, the effect of the external forces can be neglected in analyzing the collision itself. In summary, during a collision, the external forces, such as the force of the road, can be neglected because the collisional forces are much larger and occur over a shorter time period.
Westin

Homework Statement

What is the x-component of the velocity of the stuck-together car and truck just after the collision?

speed= -7.32352941176471 m/s

You are correct.

c) In your analysis in part (b), why can you neglect the effect of the force of the road on the car and truck?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum and energy[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that During the collision, external forces are negligible so the momentum of the system is conserved.

Am I on the right track here?

Physics news on Phys.org
In a vehicle collision most of the energy which was contained in the colliding vehicles will end up as kenitic and thermal energy contained in bits of flying debris.
If the collision is not very fast the energy will deform the vehicles, instead of making flying debris, but the deformed vehicles will still get hotter.
Some of the released energy might result in changing the state of other stuff at the location, such as the road.
No energy just gets lost.

Last edited:
Westin said:

Homework Statement

What is the x-component of the velocity of the stuck-together car and truck just after the collision?

speed= -7.32352941176471 m/s

You are correct.

c) In your analysis in part (b), why can you neglect the effect of the force of the road on the car and truck?

Homework Equations

Conservation of momentum and energy[/B]

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that During the collision, external forces are negligible so the momentum of the system is conserved.

Am I on the right track here?
You have only restated that external forces such as the force of the road on the car and truck can be neglected. You haven't given any reason as to why they can be neglected. However, you do mention that it's during the collision that they can be neglected. This is an important point.

So, why can those external forces be neglected during the collision?

SammyS said:
You have only restated that external forces such as the force of the road on the car and truck can be neglected. You haven't given any reason as to why they can be neglected. However, you do mention that it's during the collision that they can be neglected. This is an important point.

So, why can those external forces be neglected during the collision?

Im honestly kinda lost here, it it because the collision is between the car and truck, so the system is the car and truck, making the road be neglected?

Westin said:
Im honestly kinda lost here, it it because the collision is between the car and truck, so the system is the car and truck, making the road be neglected?
Have you studied "impulse"?

How do the collisional force compare with thise external forces in size and duration?

The collision is so short that you can just neglect the road? And because the road will have such a tiny affect since the collision is so much larger?

Larger, I mean the energy from the collision is so much larger than the road.

Westin said:
Larger, I mean the energy from the collision is so much larger than the road.
It's the force that's at issue here, not energy.

Yes, the collisional forces are much larger than the external forces and occur over a very short time, during which time the external forces cause relatively little change in motion.

1. What causes car and truck collisions?

Car and truck collisions can be caused by a variety of factors, including driver error, unsafe road conditions, mechanical failures, and weather conditions. It is important for drivers to always follow traffic laws and to be aware of their surroundings to help prevent collisions.

2. How can we prevent car and truck collisions?

To prevent car and truck collisions, drivers should always follow traffic laws, maintain a safe distance from other vehicles, and avoid distractions while driving. It is also important to regularly maintain vehicles to ensure they are in proper working condition.

3. What are the common injuries from car and truck collisions?

The most common injuries from car and truck collisions include whiplash, broken bones, internal injuries, and head and spinal injuries. These injuries can range from minor to severe and can have long-term effects on the victim's health and well-being.

4. How can we improve safety for car and truck collisions?

To improve safety for car and truck collisions, it is important for governments to invest in better infrastructure and road design. Drivers should also be educated on defensive driving techniques and the importance of following traffic laws. Technology, such as advanced braking systems, can also help to prevent collisions.

5. What should I do if I am involved in a car and truck collision?

If you are involved in a car and truck collision, the first step is to check for injuries and call for medical assistance if needed. It is also important to exchange information with the other driver, take photos of the scene, and report the incident to the police. It is recommended to seek legal advice and document any injuries or damages for insurance purposes.