Car Collision Time Calculation

In summary, the question is about two cars, A and B, traveling towards each other at different speeds. The distance between them is 400 meters and the question is asking for the time it takes for them to collide. One helpful soul has calculated the time it takes for Car A to travel 400 meters, but is stuck on finding the actual time of collision. After some realization and a small mistake, the answer is found to be 13.333 seconds.
drunkenfool
I understand that this is a REALLY simple question, but for the life of me, I cannot figure out how to get the right answer.

"Two cars, A and B, are 400. meters apart. Car A
travels due east at 30. meters per second on a
collision course with car B, which travels due
west at 20. meters per second. How much time
elapses before the two cars collide?"

Hopefully, some of you helpful souls out there can help me out. I hope no ridicule comes from this. :(

What I have done is find out how much time Car A would take to travel 400 M.
400/30 = 13.333 s

Now I know that they WILL collide atleast before 13.333 s. Other than that, I'm stuck. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah, oh my God. I know why I didn't get the right answer now. I've been putting 20t = 30t. It had never occurred to me that 20t + 30t is equal to 400. Damn, I feel stupid now.

It happens some time. :smile:

1. What causes car collisions?

Car collisions can be caused by a variety of factors, including distracted driving, driving under the influence, speeding, weather conditions, and road hazards.

2. How can car collisions be prevented?

There are several ways to prevent car collisions, such as following traffic laws, avoiding distractions while driving, maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles, and regularly maintaining your car.

3. What should I do if I am involved in a car collision?

If you are involved in a car collision, the first thing you should do is make sure everyone is safe and call for medical assistance if needed. Then, exchange insurance and contact information with the other driver, and document the scene by taking photos and talking to any witnesses. Finally, report the collision to your insurance company.

4. How do I determine who is at fault in a car collision?

The determination of fault in a car collision is based on evidence and the laws of the state where the collision occurred. Factors such as traffic laws, witness statements, and police reports are considered when determining fault.

5. What are the consequences of a car collision?

The consequences of a car collision can include vehicle damage, injuries or fatalities, medical expenses, legal fees, and increased insurance premiums. In some cases, there may also be criminal charges for reckless or negligent driving.