Car collision using multiple formulas

In summary: Then you have to do it. If you are a slob like me, the time between deciding and doing is more like 1.0 seconds.In summary, the problem involves determining whether a car traveling at 35mph can safely complete a left turn at an intersection 45 feet ahead before a westbound car reaches the intersection. The reaction time of 2-3 seconds between cars is considered adequate, but the effects of light rain and braking distance must also be taken into account. However, without accurate values for braking and acceleration rates, the solution may involve assuming unrealistic values. A reaction time of 0.4 seconds is considered reasonable for an alert driver, but it could be longer in reality.
kzita

Homework Statement

I'm not sure where to begin with this problem

A car is traveling West at 35mph. 45 feet in front of this car is an intersection , and another car is about to turn in front of the westbound car. Could the car safely complete the left hand turn , or would the westbound car have to come to a complete stop to avoid striking the other vehicle. I have read that 2-3 seconds between cars is an adequate amount of time for reactions , and what if the westbound car just let off the gas. How would I be able to account for a light rain as well?
I'm not exactly sure where to start with this problem , but any assistance would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = Vo^2 -2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is really basic , but I'm not sure where to turn exactly...

Physics news on Phys.org
kzita said:

Homework Statement

I'm not sure where to begin with this problem

A car is traveling West at 35mph. 45 feet in front of this car is an intersection , and another car is about to turn in front of the westbound car. Could the car safely complete the left hand turn , or would the westbound car have to come to a complete stop to avoid striking the other vehicle. I have read that 2-3 seconds between cars is an adequate amount of time for reactions , and what if the westbound car just let off the gas. How would I be able to account for a light rain as well?
I'm not exactly sure where to start with this problem , but any assistance would be appreciated.

Homework Equations

Vf^2 = Vo^2 -2ad

The Attempt at a Solution

I know this is really basic , but I'm not sure where to turn exactly...

You need to estimate - or be told - how long the turning car will take to complete its turn.

You could consider how long it takes the moving car to cover the 45 feet at a speed of 35mph.

If those two times are equal, then the turn should be safely completed.

You could consider if the car can even stop before the intersection. What is the braking distance for a car traveling at 35 mph? certainly if there was light rain the braking distance would be greater.
Who knows, stopping might not be an option if it is raining - or even if it is fine.

Unless you have access to reasonable braking rates and acceleration rates [the turning car has to accelerate] you will most probably assume unrealistic values for at least one of them.

EDIT: btw 0.4 seconds is deemed a reasonable reaction rate for an alert driver. Reaction time is the time before you begin doing what ever you decide to do.

1. What are the different formulas used to calculate car collision?

There are several formulas used to calculate car collision, including the momentum formula, kinetic energy formula, and force formula. These formulas take into account factors such as mass, velocity, and acceleration to determine the outcome of a collision.

2. How do these formulas differ from each other?

The main difference between these formulas is the variables they take into account. The momentum formula, for example, only considers the mass and velocity of the objects involved, while the kinetic energy formula also includes the mass and velocity but also takes into account the square of the velocity. The force formula, on the other hand, considers the mass, velocity, and acceleration of the objects.

3. Which formula is the most accurate for calculating car collision?

All of these formulas are accurate and have their own uses. However, the force formula is considered the most accurate as it takes into account the acceleration of the objects involved. This can be especially important in high-speed collisions.

4. Can these formulas be used for any type of car collision?

Yes, these formulas can be used for any type of car collision as long as the necessary variables are known. They can also be used for other types of collisions involving objects with mass, such as collisions between two moving objects or collisions between a moving object and a stationary object.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the outcome of a car collision?

Yes, there are many other factors that can affect the outcome of a car collision, such as the angle of impact, the type of vehicles involved, and the use of safety features like airbags and seatbelts. These formulas provide a basic understanding of the physics behind car collisions, but there are many other factors that can influence the severity and outcome of a collision.