Car Crash Simulation: Calculating Damage & Enhancement Effects

In summary, the aim of the simulation is to calculate the damage that was induced on both cars in a crash, using the given speed, mass, and other factors. For part 2 of the simulation, the aim is to lessen the damage that would result from a crash by putting beams on the doors of the cars. However, the accuracy of the calculations is not too important as the main goal is to lessen the damage to the occupants.
kimlambiguit
Hi.. I am trying to create a car crash simulation. what i want to do is to simulate two cars crashing and calculate the damage that was induced on both cars with the given speed, mass etc. part 2 of that simulation is an enhancement on car A. I would put beams on the doors of the cars to lessen the damage that will result in the crash with the same values for speed, mass etc. I know for a fact that Momentum is the physics behind this things. My problem is I don't know how to calculate the damage induced on both cars and the physical effect of the enhancement i made on car A. How will i Mathematicaly put that enhancement on car A. Any Ideas? hope someone can help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to look into things like stress and strain:

http://www.omega.com/literature/transactions/volume3/strainfig1.html"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_of_materials"

and their relationship

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stress-strain_curve"

(which differs for each type of material) - that is how do the material deform under (compression in your case) stress.

You could then define your own curve for your car and then also define an impulse curve for the collision in order to calculate the stress during the collision.

Last edited by a moderator:
How accurate do you want your calculations to be? There's a reason they test cars by smashing a few into walls! Also, lessening the damage to the car isn't always the goal; the goal is to lessen the damage to the occupants! Thus, through the use of crumple zones, etc., the change in momentum is done over a greater amount of time, reducing the average force experienced by the occupants.

Thanks for the reply guys.. I'll look into those websites you gave me andrevdh because honestly, I'm still confused about everything.. i just wanted to know where i should begin and you guys gave me ideas..

about my calculations, not really accurate but just enough to say that my simulation is valid.

thanks for the reply guys and i'll post an update of my work (i really hope i can post)

1. How accurate are car crash simulations in predicting real-life damage?

Car crash simulations are highly accurate in predicting real-life damage. These simulations use advanced computer models and algorithms to accurately simulate the physics and mechanics of a car crash. They take into account factors such as vehicle weight, speed, impact angle, and material properties to calculate the damage and deformation that would occur in a real-life crash.

2. Can car crash simulations be used to evaluate the safety of a vehicle?

Yes, car crash simulations can be used to evaluate the safety of a vehicle. By simulating different crash scenarios, engineers can identify potential weaknesses in a vehicle's design and make improvements to enhance its safety. This can help car manufacturers create safer vehicles and reduce the likelihood of serious injuries or fatalities in real-life crashes.

3. How do car crash simulations take into account human factors, such as reaction time and seatbelt usage?

Car crash simulations can take into account human factors by using data and research on human behavior and reaction time. The simulation software can be programmed to simulate different driver behaviors and reactions, such as braking and steering, to accurately predict the effects of human factors on the outcome of a crash. Seatbelt usage can also be simulated by adjusting the restraint systems in the virtual car model.

4. Are car crash simulations only used for evaluating damage, or can they also be used for enhancing vehicle safety?

Car crash simulations can be used for both evaluating damage and enhancing vehicle safety. By accurately predicting the damage and deformation that would occur in a crash, engineers can identify areas of a vehicle that could be strengthened or improved to enhance its safety. This can include things like reinforced frames, improved airbag deployment, and advanced safety features.

5. How do car crash simulations benefit the automotive industry?

Car crash simulations have numerous benefits for the automotive industry. They allow engineers to quickly and cost-effectively test and evaluate different vehicle designs, reducing the need for expensive physical crash tests. They also help car manufacturers create safer vehicles and improve overall vehicle performance, leading to increased customer satisfaction and brand loyalty. Additionally, car crash simulations can help reduce the time and costs associated with vehicle recalls and lawsuits due to safety issues.