Calculating the Efficiency of a Car Engine: A Scientific Approach

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the percentage of power used to increase the movable energy of a car that accelerates from 0km/h to 50km/h in 9.0 seconds and exhausts 57kW of power. The correct calculation is 21%.
Izekid
Here I have a hard one... A car with the mass 1100kg accelerates from 0km/h to 50km/h in 9,0s. In this time intervall the engine exhausts an power of 57kW. How many procent of the power the engine exhauts is used to increase the moveable energy...

For this I take :

Wres = Fres = Wk

Wk= 1/2 M * v^2

First I take Km/h and transform it to m/s 50km/h = 13,8 m/s

then

550kg *13,8^2 = 104742 J Totalty Cars Moveable power

Then to get Fres I use

S=1/2(v-v0)t

S=13,8/2 * 9 = 62,1m

To get Fres I use Wres = F*S

62,1 * 104742 = 6504478,2J = 6504kJ

57kJ/6504kJ=0,0008 = 0,8 procent

Which Is TOTALY WRONG please help me what shall I do!? It shall be around 21%

Physics news on Phys.org
You started out OK, but then went off track. How much power actually goes to increasing the speed of the car? Hint: What's the increase in KE? How much time does that take?

The KE is 104742J = 104kJ then shall I take 57/104 which is... 0,54 which is 54% which is also totally wrong ...

Of course it's wrong. You need to compare power (total) with power (used to accelerate car), not with the KE of the car.

You found the KE; now find the power. (That's why I asked you "How much time does that take?")

Thx man forgot that effect is P = W/T! You should have sade Effect and it should have popped up directly ... well anyway you helped me thanks man
So The answer is 104742/9 = 11638W = 11,6 kW

11,6kW/57 = 0,209= 0,21 :)

FAQ: Calculating the Efficiency of a Car Engine: A Scientific Approach

What is the "Car Engine Energy Problem"?

The "Car Engine Energy Problem" refers to the challenge of efficiently converting the chemical energy in fuel into mechanical energy to power a car's engine. This problem is particularly relevant in the context of environmental concerns and the need for more sustainable modes of transportation.

Why is the Car Engine Energy Problem important?

The Car Engine Energy Problem is important because it directly impacts the fuel efficiency and emissions of cars, which in turn affects air quality and climate change. It is also a major factor in the cost of operating a vehicle and can have significant economic implications.

What are some solutions to the Car Engine Energy Problem?

There are several solutions to the Car Engine Energy Problem, including improving engine design and efficiency, using alternative fuels such as electric or hybrid power, and implementing better driving practices. Other potential solutions include developing more lightweight materials and implementing advanced technologies, such as regenerative braking.

What challenges are associated with solving the Car Engine Energy Problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the Car Engine Energy Problem is finding a balance between fuel efficiency and performance. Many solutions may improve one aspect but have a negative impact on the other. Additionally, implementing new technologies and alternative fuels can be costly and may require significant infrastructure changes.

What role do scientists play in addressing the Car Engine Energy Problem?

Scientists play a crucial role in addressing the Car Engine Energy Problem by conducting research, developing new technologies, and providing data and analysis to inform policy decisions. They also collaborate with engineers and industry professionals to test and implement potential solutions. Additionally, scientists play a key role in educating the public about the importance of this issue and promoting environmentally sustainable practices.

Back