Car Physics Questions: Gear Shifting, Aceleration, Ground Resistance

In summary, when creating a simple car simulation program, it is important to consider acceleration, gear shifting, and ground resistance. Gear shifting has to do with the torque characteristics of the internal combustion engine and the power produced at different speeds in each gear. The tachometer displays engine speed in rpm, which is related to car speed through gear ratios. The rear axle and tire diameter also contribute to the gear ratio. Pressing the pedal gives the engine more torque/force, and the rate of change of that force is dependent on the gear being used.
C0d3r
Hello, I'm looking for some information so I can write a simple car simulation program.

This program will be a simple model with 3 things:
* aceleration
* gear shifting (with dif. ratios for each gear)
* ground resistance

So that the user can do a simple simulation like a normal car in a straight line, where at some point gear shifting is necessary.

Some specific questions I have at the moment:

* What actually happens when the car gears shifts up?

From what I've played in games like Need For Speed, when the gear is shifted up, the car's RPM reduces. But I'm not sure how this influences the whole system.

* How do we determinate the gradual increase in aceleration if we keep the acellerator down?

I'm guessing this is related to the current gear.

Thanks for your comments.

Physics news on Phys.org
C0d3r said:
Hello, I'm looking for some information so I can write a simple car simulation program.

This program will be a simple model with 3 things:
* aceleration
* gear shifting (with dif. ratios for each gear)
* ground resistance

So that the user can do a simple simulation like a normal car in a straight line, where at some point gear shifting is necessary.

Some specific questions I have at the moment:

* What actually happens when the car gears shifts up?

From what I've played in games like Need For Speed, when the gear is shifted up, the car's RPM reduces. But I'm not sure how this influences the whole system.

* How do we determinate the gradual increase in aceleration if we keep the acellerator down?

I'm guessing this is related to the current gear.
Gear shifting has to do with the torque characteristics of the internal combustion engine. An internal combustion engine has low power at low speed. So in order to accelerate the car at low speeds, the engine has to go fast - hence the low gear. As the car speed picks up, the gears are increased.

What you would need is a table showing the power produced by an engine as a function of speed. You would also need to know the ratio of engine speed to car speed for each gear. That would enable you to determine the power being deliverd to the car at any speed in any gear. That power is the rate of change of kinetic energy of the car:

[tex]P = \frac{dE}{dt} = \frac{d}{dt}\frac{1}{2}mv^2 = mvdv/dt = mva = Fv[/tex]

AM

Andrew Mason said:
Gear shifting has to do with the torque characteristics of the internal combustion engine. An internal combustion engine has low power at low speed. So in order to accelerate the car at low speeds, the engine has to go fast - hence the low gear. As the car speed picks up, the gears are increased.

So the RPM indicated in the car meter is the engine speed? Or is it the speed of weels rotate?

Thanks.

So when the driver presses the pedal, he is given more Torque/Force to the engine?

And what's the rate of change of that force?

C0d3r said:

So the RPM indicated in the car meter is the engine speed? Or is it the speed of weels rotate?
The tachometer displays the engine speed in rpm. The relationship between engine speed and car speed (or wheel speed) depends on the gear being used.

AM

The rear axle and tire diameter also contribute to the gear ratio, although in most cases those don't change during driving. (Sometimes they do, but not in the situation that you want to simulate.)

1. What is gear shifting and why is it important in car physics?

Gear shifting is the process of changing gears in a car. It is important in car physics because it affects the car's acceleration, speed, and overall performance. The gear ratio determines how much power is transmitted from the engine to the wheels, so shifting gears at the right time is crucial for optimal performance.

2. How does acceleration affect a car's physics?

Acceleration is the rate of change of velocity, and it directly affects a car's physics. Acceleration determines how quickly a car can reach a certain speed or change its speed. It also affects the car's handling, as sudden accelerations can cause the car to lose traction and skid.

3. What role does ground resistance play in car physics?

Ground resistance is the force that opposes the movement of a car on the ground. It is important in car physics because it affects the car's speed and handling. Different surfaces and conditions, such as pavement, gravel, or wet roads, can significantly impact ground resistance and, therefore, the car's performance.

4. How do car tires affect acceleration and ground resistance?

Car tires play a crucial role in both acceleration and ground resistance. The type and condition of tires can affect the amount of friction between the tires and the ground, which directly impacts acceleration and ground resistance. Worn or improper tires can decrease traction, leading to slower acceleration and reduced control on the road.

5. How can understanding car physics help with driving and vehicle maintenance?

Understanding car physics can help with driving and vehicle maintenance in many ways. It can help drivers make informed decisions while driving, such as when to shift gears or how to handle different road conditions. It can also help with vehicle maintenance by identifying potential issues based on the car's performance and handling, such as uneven tire wear or engine problems.