Car Thermostat Temperature Problem

In summary, the thermostat opens partially to let coolant absorb heat from the engine, and the fan starts up only when natural convection ( or forced convection) is not sufficient to cool the coolant in the radiator.
RKD89
Solution Required :

Engine Temperature should not exceed 96 °C

Specify Thermostat starting temperature for controlling engine temperature within limits with tolerance of +/- 2 deg

Constraint :

Radiator Fan starts at 90°C & stops at 84°C

Coolant from engine must be circulated through radiator when engine temperatures cross its specified limit

No other Data has been provided.

Solution Guess:

Avg is of 84 & 90 , ie 87°C ; assuming Fan speed is based on keeping the engine at optimum temperature.

Please help me guys

Physics news on Phys.org
I've pondered this, but can't get a grip on it. When you find out the answer would you come back and share it? I think the question must rely on a more intimate understanding of an engine's cooling than I have -- which isn't saying much! ☹

Still trying to get a correct answer
Appreciate your interest though

Thank You

Answer is 88 to 90 degrees, ie thermostat opens partially at 88 and completely upto 90

Radiator fan starts only when Natural convection ( or forced convection due to motion of the vehicle ) is not sufficient to cool the coolant in the radiator. The fan provides extra air circulation to cool the radiator n the coolant in it.
This means the thermostat has to be open ( it should be operational , allowing coolant to absorb heat from the engine ) before the the fan starts working.

Okay, that wasn't difficult. :smile:

What I've been wondering is: If the fan can reduce the temp down to 84° before it cuts out, does this mean the thermostat's wax can refreeze as the engine temp cycles down whenever the fan cuts in? I'm finding it difficult to picture the wax refreezing in a running engine, but maybe it does https://www.physicsforums.com/images/icons/icon5.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Well in Full working Condition , don't think a Fan can cool an Engine upto 84 C ,
Also since it has not been mentioned , I am assuming 84 would be coolant temp n not the engine temp

About the Wax refreezing , that is plausible ; infact the way I understand it , a thermostat keeps opening & closing( which in turn means wax melting n freezing ) in a normal ( optimum ) condition
(Check How stuff works )

The working of a radiator is not so easy to explain ; the heat transfer , it depends on Temperature difference between Coolant & Engine ; between the coolant & surrounding air , coefficient of convective heat transfer in the radiator ( which depends on whether the fan is On or Off) ; mass flow rate of air in the radiator ( again depends on the fan )
Coolant Pressure & mass flow rate ( Depends on Coolant Pump Capacity & Thermostat position respectively )
but most importantly on how much Heat the engine is producing ( which again depends on throttle position , engine load etc

Hope this helps and not confuses you :)

Related to Car Thermostat Temperature Problem

What is a car thermostat temperature problem?

A car thermostat temperature problem refers to an issue with the temperature regulation system in a vehicle. This can include the thermostat itself, the coolant system, or other components that help to maintain the ideal operating temperature of the engine.

What are the signs of a car thermostat temperature problem?

The most common signs of a car thermostat temperature problem include overheating, fluctuating temperature gauge, coolant leaks, and a lack of warm air from the heater. These issues can also be caused by other problems, so it is important to have your car diagnosed by a professional.

What causes a car thermostat temperature problem?

A car thermostat temperature problem can be caused by a variety of issues, such as a faulty thermostat, low coolant levels, air pockets in the cooling system, a malfunctioning water pump, or a clogged radiator. It is important to address and fix the underlying cause of the problem to prevent it from recurring.

How do you fix a car thermostat temperature problem?

The solution to a car thermostat temperature problem will depend on the underlying cause. In some cases, replacing the thermostat or repairing a coolant leak may be necessary. It is best to consult with a mechanic to accurately diagnose and fix the issue.

How can you prevent a car thermostat temperature problem?

To prevent a car thermostat temperature problem, it is important to regularly maintain your vehicle. This includes checking and topping off coolant levels, replacing worn or damaged components, and following the recommended service schedule provided by the manufacturer. It is also important to address any warning signs of a potential problem as soon as they arise.