1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Car Velocity Question

1. May 14, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Part 1 Consider a car which is traveling along a straight road with constant acceleration a. There are two checkpoints, A and B , which are a distance 81.4 m apart. The time it takes for the car to travel from A to B is 5.89 s.

Part 2 Find the velocity VB for the case where the acceleration is 7.45 m/s^2.

3. The attempt at a solution
    acceleration multiplied by the final time does not give me the answer

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. May 14, 2009 #2

danago

Gold Member

What is VB? Is that supposed to be the velocity once it reaches checkpoint B?

4. May 14, 2009 #3
    yea my browser won't load the functions so it should read V(sub)B which is the velocity once it reaches checkpoint B.

5. May 14, 2009 #4

danago

Gold Member

Perhaps start by finding what the velocity at checkpoint A is.

6. May 14, 2009 #5
    how would you go by doing that?

7. May 14, 2009 #6
    anyone? I have no clue how to find the velocity at either checkpoints with the given data

8. May 14, 2009 #7

Delphi51

Homework Helper

Take A to be the initial point, time = 0.
    Then for the trip to B you know d, t, and a. Don't know Vi.
    You could make progress with d = Vi*t + 0.5a*t^2 which has only one unknown.
    There is another formula like that with a Vf instead of a Vi which would get you to the answer in one step.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook