Carbocations Stability: Compare 2 & 3 for Electron Induction

• Chemistry
  • Thread starter duchuy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Stability
In summary, the conversation discusses the stability of two molecules, 2 and 3, and the use of the inductive effect to determine their stability. However, the conclusion that compound 2 is more stable due to the lack of an inductive effect from a hydrogen atom is incorrect. Generally, tertiary carbocations are more stable than secondary carbocations due to the electron-donating nature of carbon compared to hydrogen. This explanation helps clarify any misunderstanding about the problem.
duchuy
Homework Statement
Which carbocation is more stable
Relevant Equations
Inductive effect
Hi,
I have to determine which molecule ( 2 and 3) is more stable.
I tried to determine the stability using the inductive effect, but when I tried to that, I ended with molecule 2 being more stable than molecule 3 since:
x3 ch3 will push electrons towards c+
Whilst in the 2nd molecule the is a H, which have no inductive effect on C+ therefore it's more stable which is incorrect.
Please tell me where I misunderstood the problem thank you!
The molecules are attached to this thread.

Attachments

• IMG_20210312_101932.jpg
    IMG_20210312_101932.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 147
Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, tertiary carbocations are more stable than secondary carbocations. So you're definitely right that compound 2 being more stable is incorrect. Carbon is electron donating compared to hydrogen. So a carbocation placed next to three carbon atoms will be more stable than one placed next to two carbon atoms and one hydrogen with that reasoning.

Likes duchuy
Mayhem said:
Generally, tertiary carbocations are more stable than secondary carbocations. So you're definitely right that compound 2 being more stable is incorrect. Carbon is electron donating compared to hydrogen. So a carbocation placed next to three carbon atoms will be more stable than one placed next to two carbon atoms and one hydrogen with that reasoning.
Thank you for your reply sir!

1. What is a carbocation?

A carbocation is a positively charged carbon atom that has only three bonds and an empty p-orbital. It is an intermediate in organic chemistry reactions and is highly reactive.

2. How are carbocations stabilized?

Carbocations can be stabilized through electron induction, which is the donation of electrons from neighboring atoms or groups to the positively charged carbon atom. This can increase the stability of the carbocation by delocalizing the positive charge.

3. What is the difference between 2 and 3 carbocations?

The difference between 2 and 3 carbocations refers to the number of carbon atoms attached to the positively charged carbon atom. A 2 carbocation has two carbon atoms attached to the positively charged carbon, while a 3 carbocation has three carbon atoms attached.

4. How does electron induction affect the stability of 2 and 3 carbocations?

Electron induction can greatly affect the stability of 2 and 3 carbocations. In a 2 carbocation, the positive charge is more localized and therefore less stable. However, in a 3 carbocation, the positive charge can be delocalized through the donation of electrons from neighboring atoms, making it more stable.

5. Which is more stable, a 2 carbocation or a 3 carbocation?

A 3 carbocation is generally more stable than a 2 carbocation due to the ability to delocalize the positive charge through electron induction. This makes the 3 carbocation less reactive and more likely to participate in organic reactions.