Calculating Carbon Decay: Kinetic Energy, Mass, and Activity

In summary, the conversation discusses the naturally occurring radiation in our bodies from radiocarbon. The decay scheme of carbon-14 is shown, and the end products are discussed. The amount of kinetic energy released per decay is calculated, as well as the amount of carbon in a 77.0 kg person. The total decays per second of carbon in the body is also calculated, taking into account the given decay rate per gram of carbon. It is noted that most of the carbon in the body is C-12, with only a small fraction being C-14.
theleftlane

Homework Statement

The radiocarbon in our bodies is one of the naturally occurring sources of radiation. Let's see how large a dose we receive. 14C decays via Beta- emission, and 18% of body mass is Carbon.

A) Write out the decay scheme of carbon-14 and show the end product. (A neutrino is also produced.) I got this correct: 146C--> e- + 147N + ve

B) Neglecting the effects of the neutrino, how much kinetic energy (in MeV) is released per decay? The atomic mass of C-14 is 14.003242 mu.
I honestly don't know how to go about this one at all. I've reread the section this problem comes from and I don't even see a formula that could begin to solve this.

C) How many grams of carbon are there in a 77.0 kg person?
I got this correct. I multiplied 77000g * .18 which =13900g

D) How many decays per second does this carbon produce? (Hint: Assume activity of 14C is about 0.255 Bq per gram of carbon.)
I've tried this multiple different ways now. For the most part I've started by taking 13900g/14*6.022*1023 which should give me the N and then I've multiplied that by .255. The equation I used was -lambda*N=deltaN/deltat. As I am looking for decays per second (deltaN/deltat) I don't know how else to go about this.

Homework Equations

deltaN/deltat=-lambda*N
1Bq=1decay/s
N=N0*e-lambda*t
T1/2=ln/2

The Attempt at a Solution

Shown above.

Physics news on Phys.org
B - you need either the mass of 14N, or you need to just lookup the energy of this decay step

D - the decay is given in Bq per gram of carbon, not per atom

Thanks a bunch! I'll work on it!

D is much simpler than you think
"Assume activity of 14C is about 0.255 Bq per gram of carbon"
means there are 0.255 decays per gram of carbon / second - you have worked out how much carbon is in the body, and you want the total decays per second!

Don't forget that most of the carbon in your body is C-12. Only a small fraction (which you can look up) is C-14.

phyzguy said:
Don't forget that most of the carbon in your body is C-12. Only a small fraction (which you can look up) is C-14.

I think that is taken into account in the decay rate given
The half life of C14 is around 5500yr, so 1.7E11 seconds and 10E23 atoms would give a lot more than 0.255Bq if it was just for the C14

You're right. Sorry.

phyzguy said:
You're right. Sorry.
That was my first answer as well before I ran the numbers!
Especially because I got Bq mixed up with the Curie which is a lot larger.

1. What is carbon decay and why is it important?

Carbon decay is the process by which unstable carbon isotopes emit radiation and transform into more stable isotopes. It is important because it allows us to measure the age of organic materials, such as fossils and artifacts, through radiocarbon dating.

2. How is the rate of carbon decay determined?

The rate of carbon decay is determined by the half-life of the specific carbon isotope. The half-life is the amount of time it takes for half of the original amount of the isotope to decay into a more stable form.

3. How is kinetic energy related to carbon decay?

Kinetic energy is not directly related to carbon decay, but it is a result of the decay process. When a carbon isotope decays, it releases radiation in the form of particles or waves, which have kinetic energy.

4. How does mass affect carbon decay?

Mass does not directly affect the rate of carbon decay. However, larger atoms tend to have more unstable isotopes and therefore have a higher rate of decay compared to smaller atoms.

5. What is the formula for calculating carbon decay activity?

The formula for calculating carbon decay activity is: Activity (A) = λN, where λ is the decay constant and N is the number of radioactive nuclei present. The decay constant is related to the half-life of the isotope by the equation λ = ln(2)/t1/2, where t1/2 is the half-life in seconds.