Careers in Electronics: Math Topics & Classes for Study

In summary, the topics that are most applied in electronics are spaces, vectors, integral applications, riemann, cauchy, lagrange, taylor series, hyperbolics. Other subjects such as numerical analysis, statistics, differential equations may be studied, but are not as important.
toxique
Hi dudes, sorry if this is the wrong area for this post.

I am doing a career in electronics. I realize that math classes are of a very poor quality (Algebra an Calculus I) Lots of topics were discarded cause lack of time, so i decided to study them on my own.

The question is, what topics in algebra and calculus I (and II) are by far most applied in electronics? (besides complex numbers, trigonometry, equation systems, matrixes & determ. ) Any special theorems?

what about other subjects as numerical analysis, statistics, differential equations for example?

Any clue is really welcome. I am seriusly thinking enrollying in physics career due of its hardcore math classes.

Best regards.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
>I am doing a career in electronics.

Can you be a little more specific? Are you thinking of becoming an electronics technician, or a full EE? If EE, what kind of specialty are you thinking of? In my own experience, it is very difficult to learn calculus and the other EE math subjects on your own with self-study. Why do you say that your math classes are of poor quality? What country and what school are you at now?

math

Hi Berkeman, thanks for your prompt reply. Just a technician. Unfortunately I do not have the time to make a full engineering degree (full time job, wife, etc.)

Do not take me wrong. I just finished Algebra an Calculus I, but topics very poorly covered, or just NOT covered at all are spaces, vectorial spaces, integral applications (solids, archs), riemann, cauchy, lagrange, taylor series, hyperbolics among others.

The career in physics is at the same technical institute, but it has a more serious and complete math curricula.

For an electronics technician, you will not need as complete a math background as for a full EE. Being good with electronics equipment, and doing good prototype work and testing are the most important, at least for the technicians that we have here at my work.

I'm not sure exactly what the differences would be for a physics technician, except the need to be very good with mechanical things in addition to electronics. If that degree path has more math, then they must be preparing folks for some kind of specialized technician work. You might see if you can find an extra class or a tutor or something, to help you with understanding the coursework that wasn't covered very well.

Hi bekerman, thanks a lot for your advice!
best regards.

1. What are the necessary math topics that I need to study to pursue a career in electronics?

The most important math topics for a career in electronics include algebra, trigonometry, and calculus. These topics are essential for understanding the principles of electricity, circuits, and signals. It is also important to have a solid understanding of complex numbers, matrices, and differential equations.

2. Do I need to have a strong math background to work in the electronics industry?

While a strong math background is not always required for entry-level positions in the electronics industry, it is highly recommended. Having a solid understanding of math concepts will help you excel in your career and make it easier for you to learn and apply new technologies.

3. Are there any specific math classes that I should take to prepare for a career in electronics?

Some specific math classes that can be helpful for a career in electronics include discrete mathematics, linear algebra, and differential equations. These classes will provide you with a deeper understanding of abstract mathematical concepts that are commonly used in electronics.

4. How important is the application of math in the field of electronics?

Math is essential for a career in electronics as it enables engineers and technicians to analyze and design complex electronic systems. Without a strong foundation in math, it would be nearly impossible to understand the underlying principles of electronics and to troubleshoot issues that may arise.

5. Can I learn the necessary math skills for a career in electronics on the job?

While some basic math skills can be learned on the job, it is important to have a strong foundation in math before pursuing a career in electronics. Many employers require a minimum level of math proficiency and it can be difficult to catch up if you do not have a solid understanding of the fundamentals.