Calculating Coriolis Effect Force: Homework Statement

• Thread starter engboysclub
  • Start date
In summary: The question is self developed. After the lecture from our professor over Coriolis Effect, we determined to be over ambitious and derive the equation and somehow calculate the force exerted on a given location on the Earth. However, someone said that would be possible if it is going inside down the Earth.We have not attempted but just drove to get the general equation and read several pages about it. I would like someone to attach some notes for Coriolis effect and put us in the right direction. I would also like if someone gives us a question to solve, a exciting question, through which we can learn in detail the application of Coriolis effect.The coriolis effect comes out of the transform to a
engboysclub

Homework Statement

The question is self developed. After the lecture from our professor over Coriolis Effect, we decidable to be over ambitious and derive the equation and somehow calculate the force exerted on a given location on the Earth or "For example we throw a ball in a train traveling opposite the direction of the Coriolis effect - But someone said that would be possible if it is going inside down the Earth (Somebody can correct me If I am wrong)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

We have not attempted but just drived to get the general equation and read several pages about it. I would like someone to attach some notes for Coriolis effect and put us in the right direction ! I would also like if someone gives us a question to solve, a exciting question, through which we can learn in detail the application of Coriolis effect.

Physics news on Phys.org
The coriolis effect comes out of the transform to a rotating reference frame - just like the centrifugal effect. You do not have to be descending into the Earth to see the effect.

Like the centrifugal effect, you can model it with a pseudoforce while treating the rotating frame as stationary. You can look up all these terms online.

engboysclub said:
The question is self developed. After the lecture from our professor over Coriolis Effect, we decidable to be over ambitious and derive the equation and somehow calculate the force exerted on a given location on the earth
It isn't really a force. Do you understand that there is really no such thing as centrifugal force? Both "forces" arise from using a frame of reference that's accelerating. This gives the illusion of forces because of the way things seem to behave.
If you take an inertial frame of reference then you can see that the objects are doing what Newton said they should do - continue at a steady speed in a straight line if there's no net force on them.
or "For example we throw a ball in a train traveling opposite the direction of the Coriolis effect
What would be the "opposite direction"?
The Coriolis effect should be observable with a projectile in any horizontal direction. It is an apparent deflection to the right in the northern hemisphere and to the left in the southern. Its magnitude depends on distance from the equator (zero at the equator) and time and distance of trajectory, but not on orientation of trajectory.
Yes, an apparent deflection should also be observable for vertical trajectories, but I'm not sure it would be right to call that a Coriolis effect, though it's really the same thing going on. In this case it would be to the East downwards and to the West upwards.
Before conducting an experiment, figure out the trajectory you would need in order to observe an effect. Feel free to post your equations and calculations here.

I am very pleased to hear from you all !

I really appreciate it.

I would like to post all my calculations here but first - Kindly tell me some points on how to start. Our professor (He filled the whole board with differentiation of trignometic funtions as vectors which I didn't really understand) -- I want someone to explain me discursively and give me points over it.

I want to calculate the Coriolis effect for example at a given place on Earth (Let's assume a country) - Can someone jought down the points for me what I'll have to do to calculate the force acting on i.e (any object, make it easy for me and give me a suitable object which I should assume)

We friends really want to do this and we'll keep it updated here - Our aim is to calculate a force and go through all the mathematics in it so that we can experience and have a further understanding of it -- (Our Professor mentioned, its hard to explain but with Mathematics, one actually see's this perceived movement of object) - We want to experience that.

1. What is the Coriolis effect force and how does it affect objects?

The Coriolis effect force is a phenomenon that occurs due to the rotation of the Earth. It causes objects, such as air and water, to appear to curve rather than travel in a straight line. This effect is caused by the rotation of the Earth and its influence on the direction of moving objects.

2. How do you calculate the Coriolis effect force?

The formula for calculating the Coriolis effect force is F = 2mωv, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, ω is the angular velocity of the Earth, and v is the velocity of the object. This formula can also be written as F = mv²/R, where R is the radius of the Earth.

3. What factors can affect the strength of the Coriolis effect force?

The strength of the Coriolis effect force can be affected by the speed and direction of the object, as well as the latitude and rotation of the Earth. Objects moving at high speeds will experience a stronger Coriolis effect force, while those moving at slower speeds will experience a weaker force. The Coriolis effect force is strongest at the poles and weakest at the equator.

4. How does the Coriolis effect force impact weather patterns?

The Coriolis effect force plays a significant role in shaping weather patterns. It influences the direction of winds and ocean currents, which in turn affects the distribution of heat and moisture around the Earth. This can lead to the formation of weather systems such as hurricanes and typhoons.

5. Can the Coriolis effect force be observed in everyday life?

Yes, the Coriolis effect force can be observed in everyday life. For example, in the Northern Hemisphere, water in a sink or bathtub will rotate counterclockwise due to the Coriolis effect force. However, the force is relatively weak and is only noticeable in large bodies of water or over long distances.