1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Carnival ride : chair swings from cable attatched to overhang, spinning on axis

1. Oct 25, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The chair is 10 m from the rotating vertical axis. The solid overhang stretches 6 meters from the axis. (making 4 m from end of overhang to chair on the radial axis). The chair spins at a constant speed at 1 revolution per 10 seconds. Find the angle θ the cable makes with the vertical axis.

2. Relevant equations

ƩFr = mar = m(ω^2)r
    ƩFz = maz
    ƩFt = mat = 0 (constant speed)

3. The attempt at a solution

I have not had troubles with the equation, but I have had issues setting up the problem.

I originally thought that I might be able to find θ if I analyzed the chair as if the cable was attached directly to the z axis. This would give me an angle let's call β. From here I could use trig to find θ. This is only true if the relationship between the situation where the cable is attached directly to the z axis and the situation where the cable is attached to the over hang looks like this:

|-\
    |-β--\
    |-------\
    |----------\
    |-------------\
    |----------------\
    |________________\
    (sorry for the bad diagram. Its a triangle ignore the --)

where the bottom side is length 10 and

|-\
    |-θ-\
    |----\
    |-----\
    |------\
    |-------\
    |_______\

Where this bottom line is 4 and the heights are equal.

I doubt this is true. I would guess that the heights wouldn't be equal, and thus I would not be able to find θ this way.

My question is how I would find this true angle, or more generally, how would I deal with any radial problem where a mass is hung by a rope from a spot a certain distance x away from the center of the circle.

Thank you

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi conorwood! :smile:
    i think β and θ are the same

try solving the equations …

you'll probably find that the radius of revolution is the only length that matters :wink:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook