Reversible Engines and Efficiency: Exploring Carnot's Theorem Corollary

• Thread starter botee
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Theorem
In summary, the author suggests that all reversible engines have the same efficiency. He tries to find an example of a reversible engine that does not follow the Carnot cycle, but fails. He suggests that all reversible engines have the same efficiency because they are in a thermal equilibrium with their surroundings.
botee
Hey there!

I have found an interesting corollary: All reversible engines have the same efficiency [tex]\eta[/tex]Carnot.
Well, I tried it for the Otto engine, but it didn`t work. If you have any idea, please share with me!
Thanks!

Science news on Phys.org
Can you provide us a synopsis of what you did to calculate the efficiency?

Sure.
If 1-2 adiabatic, 2-3 isochore, 3-4 adiabatic, 4-1 izochore, so that V1=V4>V2=V3.
Then the efficiency is [tex]\eta[/tex]=1-[tex]\frac{Q_{}41}{Q_{}32}[/tex], because there is heat exchange only on izochores.
For 1 kmole:
Q41=Cv(T4-T1)
Q32=Cv(T3-T2)

For the 2 adiabatic processes (use these only if you need the efficiency in terms of volumes):

T2V2([tex]\gamma[/tex]-1)=T1V1([tex]\gamma[/tex]-1)

T3V2([tex]\gamma[/tex]-1)=T4V1([tex]\gamma[/tex]-1)

It follows that:

[tex]\eta[/tex]=1-(T4-T1)/(T3-T2)

Well, fine, but the highest and lowest temperatures are T3 and T1, so I expected 1-T1/T3 for the efficiency. I tried to prove that the two results are equal, but it seems that they are not. Maybe I made some mistakes or whatever...

From the adiabatic equations we can show that

[tex]\frac{T_1}{T_4}=\frac{T_2}{T_3}[/tex]

This can be used to simplify the efficiency equation to two temperatures.

Mapes said:
From the adiabatic equations we can show that

[tex]\frac{T_1}{T_4}=\frac{T_2}{T_3}[/tex]

This can be used to simplify the efficiency equation to two temperatures.

Thanks for your reply.
You`re right, but then [tex]\frac{T_1}{T_4-T_1}=\frac{T_2}{T_3-T_2}[/tex] so [tex]\frac{T_4-T_1}{T_3-T_2}=\frac{T_1}{T_2}[/tex], but T_1 and T_2 are not the highest and the lowest temperatures. Maybe I made some obvious mistakes that I can`t find at the moment :)

Or the corollary is wrong.

Mapes said:
Or the corollary is wrong.

I don`t think so, I saw it in many books but without proof.

Which books?

EDIT: It is true that all reversible engines operating between the same two reservoirs have the same efficiency. But as far as I know, the Otto cycle requires an infinite number of reservoirs to be reversible. So I wouldn't depend on applying the two-reservoir case to the Otto cycle.

Last edited:
Mapes said:
Which books?

EDIT: It is true that all reversible engines operating between the same two reservoirs have the same efficiency. But as far as I know, the Otto cycle requires an infinite number of reservoirs to be reversible. So I wouldn't depend on applying the two-reservoir case to the Otto cycle.

Thanks for your replies. Ok, but if there are an infinite number of reservoirs, among them also should exist one with the highest and one with the lowest temperature.
One of the books I saw this corollary is: Stephen J. Blundell: Concepts in thermal physics. It is also on wikipedia (Ok, that`s not an argument), and on videos from Yale open courses. I insist on this problem so mutch, because it is used when proving that Carnot engine has maximum efficiency. For the proof is used that 1) Carnot engine is reversible and 2) all reversible engines have the same efficiency.

Ok, finally I understand what you say Mapes. But can you give me an example of reversible engine which works with 2 reservoirs and it is not a Carnot engine?

Honestly, I've never seen a reversible, two-reservoir heat engine called anything other than a Carnot cycle.

Mapes said:
Honestly, I've never seen a reversible, two-reservoir heat engine called anything other than a Carnot cycle.

Would I be out of order to chip in at this point, with what I believe meets this goal ?

RonL said:
Would I be out of order to chip in at this point, with what I believe meets this goal ?

All opinions are welcome! Thank you for your interest!

Last edited:
botee said:
All opinions are welcome! Thank you for your interest!

Sorry, looks like I might have posted the wrong thing here, maybe someone else will step up.:blushing:

RonL

RonL said:
Sorry, looks like I might have posted the wrong thing here, maybe someone else will step up.:blushing:

RonL

Hey, I wanted to read that!

botee said:
Hey, I wanted to read that!

I might have been a little quick to delete my post, but having spent a couple of hours looking through the forum yesterday, I found the thread from 2005 that discussed dropping a forum titled, Therory Development, It confirmed my feelings about how my post seem to come across to most people that are old timers, and some new on PF.

I feel I have learned a lot on PF, but old thinking and habits die hard, I just can't find any information in the books or research documentation, that deal with putting the high temperature power system inside the low temperature heat sink. If this does not make sense look at my thread "scroll compressors" it is about the same as what I deleted here.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=313199

If you have any questions or comments, you might prefer to send a PM.

Thanks
RonL

Related to Reversible Engines and Efficiency: Exploring Carnot's Theorem Corollary

1. What is Carnot's theorem corollary?

Carnot's theorem corollary is a mathematical concept in thermodynamics that states that the efficiency of a reversible heat engine is independent of the working substance used and is solely determined by the temperatures of the hot and cold reservoirs.

2. How is Carnot's theorem corollary related to the laws of thermodynamics?

Carnot's theorem corollary is a direct consequence of the second law of thermodynamics, which states that heat cannot flow spontaneously from a colder object to a hotter object. This principle is essential in understanding the limitations of heat engines and the concept of entropy.

3. What are the key assumptions of Carnot's theorem corollary?

The key assumptions of Carnot's theorem corollary are that the engine operates in a reversible cycle, and that there is no friction or heat loss during the process. These assumptions allow for the maximum efficiency of the heat engine to be calculated.

4. How is Carnot's theorem corollary relevant in real-world applications?

Carnot's theorem corollary is relevant in various real-world applications, such as power plants and refrigeration systems. It helps engineers optimize the efficiency of these systems by understanding the relationship between temperature and efficiency.

5. Can Carnot's theorem corollary be applied to non-ideal systems?

While Carnot's theorem corollary is based on ideal conditions, it can still be applied to non-ideal systems by considering the efficiency of the idealized system as a theoretical maximum. In practice, this means that the actual efficiency of a heat engine will always be lower than the maximum efficiency predicted by Carnot's theorem corollary.