Cauchy-Reimann from first principles

• Thread starter gtfitzpatrick
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses how to prove that the function f(z) = \overline{z}^2 is not differentiable at any point z ≠ 0 using first principles. The conversation suggests showing that the limit does not exist, and provides guidance on how to do so using the epsilon-delta language and approaching zero along two sequences. This approach is recommended as it is typically the best way to show that a function is not differentiable.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

Prove from first principles that f(z) = [itex]\overline{z}^2[/itex] is not differentiable at any point z ≠ 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So i guess i Have to show [itex]\stackrel{lim}{h\rightarrow0} \frac{f(z+h)-f(z)}{h}[/itex] is equal to zero right?

[itex] \frac{\overline{z+h}^2-\overline{z}^2}{h}[/itex] but not sure where to go from here.
Do i use z=(x+iy) then [itex]\overline{z} = x-iy [/itex] and so [itex]\overline{z}^2[/itex] = [itex]x^2-y^2-i2xy [/itex]

Physics news on Phys.org
gtfitzpatrick said:
i Have to show [itex]\stackrel{lim}{h\rightarrow0} \frac{f(z+h)-f(z)}{h}[/itex] is equal to zero right?

No, you need to prove that it does not exist. Start by formulating "limit does not exist" in the epsilon-delta language.

You could assume the limit exists (and hence f is differentiable), and calculate it twice using two sequences which converge to zero, and find that you get two different limits. In this case, your assumption becomes false, so f isn't differentiable.

You do know that the definition of differentiability you have is equivalent to having the limit
[itex]\lim_{n\rightarrow\infty}\frac{f(z+x_n)-f(z)}{x_n}[/itex]
exist for every (complex!) sequence [itex]x_n\rightarrow 0[/itex], right?

In this case, I recommend you work with the definition you have, and see what happens when you approach zero along these two sequences:
[itex] x_n=1/n[/itex]
[itex]y_n=i/n[/itex].

In general, such an approach is usually the best way to show that something -isn't- differentiable. Unless of course you have the Cauchy-Riemann equations :)

Last edited:

1. What is the Cauchy-Reimann theorem?

The Cauchy-Reimann theorem is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that states the necessary and sufficient conditions for a complex function to be differentiable at a point. It is named after mathematicians Augustin-Louis Cauchy and Georg Friedrich Bernhard Riemann.

2. What are the first principles of Cauchy-Reimann?

The first principles of Cauchy-Reimann refer to the mathematical concept of using basic, fundamental principles to prove a theorem or solve a problem. In the case of Cauchy-Reimann, this involves using the definition of differentiability and the properties of complex numbers to prove the theorem.

3. How is the Cauchy-Reimann theorem derived from first principles?

The Cauchy-Reimann theorem can be derived from first principles by using the definition of differentiability for complex functions and applying the properties of complex numbers, such as the Cauchy-Riemann equations and the polar form of a complex number.

4. What is the significance of Cauchy-Reimann from first principles?

The significance of Cauchy-Reimann from first principles lies in its ability to provide a rigorous and systematic approach to proving the theorem. By starting from the basic principles, it allows for a deeper understanding of the theorem and its implications.

5. How is Cauchy-Reimann from first principles applied in mathematics and science?

Cauchy-Reimann from first principles is applied in various areas of mathematics and science, such as complex analysis, fluid dynamics, and electromagnetism. It is used to prove theorems and solve problems related to differentiable complex functions, which have important applications in these fields.