Solving Cauchy Residual Theorem for Holomorphic Function at z=2i

In summary, the conversation is about a complex function and its holomorphic properties, specifically at z=2i. The numerator can be converted to e^i(z+3) and the denominator is factored into (z-2i)(z+2i), but only (z+2i) can be used. The Res(f,2i) is equal to g(2i) which is e^(i(2i+3)/(4i)). The real part of this is calculated to be -0.2, which is confirmed by a picture provided by the speaker.
Alekon
Alright so I posted a picture asking the exact question.

Here is my best attempt...

According to my professor's terrible notes, the numerator can magically turn into the form:

e^i(z+3)

when converted to complex. The denominator will be factored into

(z-2i)(z+2i)

but the function is only holomorphic at z=2i so only (z+2i) can be used.

From there the Res(f,2i)=g(2i) which is equal to what I believe is something like

e^(i(2i+3)/(4i)

It follows that

J=e^(-2+3i)*Pi

and sovling for the real part gives me an incorrect answer.

I might be missing some steps but I'm going off a theorem and it's really hard to relate to this problem. Help me PLEASE!

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    6 KB · Views: 414
Physics news on Phys.org
Is it 0.00477463?

This is $$\frac{\sin (3)}{4 e^2}$$

Let me know if this is the answer. I can explain how i got it.

I finally calculated the answer... it turned out to be -0.2

See the picture if you're interested

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    14.6 KB · Views: 416

I can understand your frustration with this problem. The Cauchy Residual Theorem is a powerful tool for solving complex integrals, but it can be tricky to apply correctly. Let's break down the steps and see if we can find where things might have gone wrong.

First, we need to understand what the Cauchy Residual Theorem is saying. It states that for a holomorphic function f(z) and a point z0 inside a closed contour C, the value of the integral of f(z) around C can be calculated by using the residue of f(z) at z0. In other words, the integral is equal to 2πi times the residue of f(z) at z0.

Now, in your problem, the function f(z) is not given, so we need to find it first. From the given information, we know that the function is only holomorphic at z=2i. This means that f(z) must have a singularity at z=2i, and we can use the Cauchy Residual Theorem to find its residue at that point.

Next, we need to factor the denominator of f(z) into (z-2i)(z+2i). However, since the function is only holomorphic at z=2i, we can only use the term (z+2i) in our calculation. This means that the residue of f(z) at z=2i is given by the formula Res(f,2i)=lim(z->2i) (z+2i)f(z).

From here, we can substitute z=2i into the function and simplify to find the residue of f(z) at z=2i. Finally, we can use the Cauchy Residual Theorem to calculate the value of the integral of f(z) around the given contour.

It's possible that your answer is incorrect because of a mistake in the calculation of the residue or in the substitution of z=2i into the function. Double check your work and make sure you're following the steps correctly. If you're still having trouble, I recommend seeking help from your professor or a tutor who can guide you through the process step by step. Keep practicing and don't get discouraged, solving complex problems like this takes time and practice. Good luck!

What is Cauchy Residual Theorem?

Cauchy Residual Theorem, also known as Cauchy's Integral Formula, is a fundamental theorem in complex analysis that relates the values of a holomorphic function inside a closed contour to the values of the function on the contour itself.

What is the mathematical expression of Cauchy Residual Theorem?

The mathematical expression of Cauchy Residual Theorem is given by:
f(a) = (1/2πi) ∫C f(z)/(z-a) dz
where f(a) is the value of the function at a point a inside the contour C.

What are the key assumptions of Cauchy Residual Theorem?

The key assumptions of Cauchy Residual Theorem are:
1. The function f(z) must be holomorphic (analytic) inside and on the contour C.
2. The contour C must be a simple closed curve, i.e. without self-intersections.
3. The point a must lie inside the contour C.

What are the applications of Cauchy Residual Theorem?

Cauchy Residual Theorem has many applications in mathematics and physics, including:
1. Evaluating integrals and solving differential equations in complex analysis.
2. Calculation of residues in complex analysis.
3. Finding solutions to Laplace's equation in electrostatics and fluid dynamics.

What is the difference between Cauchy Residual Theorem and Cauchy's Integral Theorem?

Cauchy Residual Theorem is a generalization of Cauchy's Integral Theorem. While Cauchy's Integral Theorem only applies to simply connected regions, Cauchy Residual Theorem applies to any closed contour. Additionally, Cauchy's Integral Theorem only deals with integrals around closed curves, while Cauchy Residual Theorem relates the values of a function inside and on the contour.