What is the basic assumption behind the Cauchy-Riemann equation?

• Thread starter iVenky
  • Start date
In summary, the limit for a function to exist must be the same regardless of the direction in which a point is approached. This applies to the Cauchy-Riemann equations, where the derivative must exist along any complex direction for it to be valid. This means that the approximations along the real and imaginary axes must agree with each other.
iVenky
Recently I read about Cauchy-Riemann equations and I got a doubt in that.

I can understand the derivation of it but I couldn't understand the basic assumption with which you derive that.

Why should the limit give the same value for both real and for imaginary axis?

I hope you can understand the question. If you can't understand the question just reply.

Thanks a lot

Physics news on Phys.org
It comes down to the fact that for the limit to exist, it should exist from every direction

you approach a point. In particular, it must exist as you approach along the real

axis as well as when you approach along the imaginary axis, and the two limits

must be equal.

That point is valid if you are finding just the limit as in

[itex] \lim_{x \to a} f(x,b) [/itex] to be same as
[itex] \lim_{y \to b} f(a,y) [/itex]

But it is not necessary that the differentiation with respect to real and imaginary axis had to be same, right? I mean it's like partial derivative where derivative with respect to one axes (real in this case) need not be same as the derivative with respect to another axes (imaginary axes).

thanks a lot for your help.

iVenky said:
That point is valid if you are finding just the limit as in

[itex] \lim_{x \to a} f(x,b) [/itex] to be same as
[itex] \lim_{y \to b} f(a,y) [/itex]

But it is not necessary that the differentiation with respect to real and imaginary axis had to be same, right? I mean it's like partial derivative where derivative with respect to one axes (real in this case) need not be same as the derivative with respect to another axes (imaginary axes).

thanks a lot for your help.

But you are finding a limit; the derivative is a limit , the quotient limit

[f(z+zo)-f(z)]/(z-zo) as z→zo . But z can approach zo along _every possible

complex direction. Then f'(z) exists when this limit exist,so that the limit must

exist along any direction along which you approximate zo, and for the limit to

exist, it must be the same no-matter how you approximate zo. In particular,

(re Cauchy-Riemann) , the approximation along the x-axis and the y-axis must

exist, and must agree with each other.

The basic assumption behind the Cauchy-Riemann equation is the concept of analyticity. This means that a function is differentiable at every point in a given region. In other words, the function is smooth and has no abrupt changes or corners. This assumption allows us to apply the rules of calculus to complex functions, which are functions that have both real and imaginary components.

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is derived from the idea that a complex function can be expressed as a combination of two real-valued functions: one for the real component and one for the imaginary component. By applying the rules of calculus to these two functions, we can derive the Cauchy-Riemann equation, which states that the partial derivatives of the real and imaginary components are related to each other in a specific way.

The reason why the limit must give the same value for both the real and imaginary axis is because the Cauchy-Riemann equation is based on the assumption of analyticity. If the function is not analytic, then the Cauchy-Riemann equation does not hold and the limit will not give the same value for both axes. However, in most cases, we are interested in functions that are analytic, as they have useful and interesting properties.

I hope this helps to clarify the basic assumption behind the Cauchy-Riemann equation. If you have further questions, please feel free to reply and I will do my best to address them. Thank you for your interest in this topic.

What is the Cauchy-Riemann equation?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is a set of partial differential equations that describe the relationship between complex differentiability and analyticity of a function. It states that for a function to be complex differentiable at a point, it must satisfy the Cauchy-Riemann equations at that point.

What is the significance of the Cauchy-Riemann equation?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is significant because it provides a necessary condition for a function to be complex differentiable. This property is important in many areas of mathematics and physics, including complex analysis, differential geometry, and fluid dynamics.

How is the Cauchy-Riemann equation related to the concept of holomorphic functions?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation is closely related to the concept of holomorphic functions. A holomorphic function is one that is complex differentiable at every point in its domain. The Cauchy-Riemann equations provide a necessary and sufficient condition for a function to be holomorphic.

What is the physical interpretation of the Cauchy-Riemann equation?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation has a physical interpretation in terms of fluid dynamics. It describes the behavior of a two-dimensional, incompressible, and irrotational fluid flow. The real and imaginary parts of a holomorphic function represent the stream function and potential function, respectively, in this context.

What are some applications of the Cauchy-Riemann equation?

The Cauchy-Riemann equation has many applications in mathematics and physics. Some examples include the study of conformal mappings, the solution of Laplace's equation in two dimensions, and the analysis of complex-valued functions in quantum mechanics. It is also used in image processing and computer graphics for its ability to transform shapes while preserving angles.