Cauchy's Integral Theorem - use partial fractions to solve integral?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an integral using partial fractions and determining whether Cauchy's Theorem applies. The speaker proposes an approach but is unsure about evaluating the terms. They mention that the theorem "the integral of an analytic function around a closed path is 0" is relevant, as the function tan(z/2) is analytic for all z in the given square and the denominators are 0 only at 2, -2, 2i, and -2i, which are outside the square being integrated over.
dla

Homework Statement

Find the integral and determine whether Cauchy's Theorem applies. Use partial fractions.

[itex]\large \oint \frac{tan \frac{z}{2}}{z^{4} -16} dz[/itex] C the boundary of the square with vertices ±1, ±i cw

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I just wanted to check if approach is correct. Since tan is not analytic at ±∏ which does not lie within the square, can I just take out the tan and solve using partial then multiply it back in?

I would have four terms since z^4-16 has four solutions but how would I evaluate each term. The integral I got is

[itex]\huge - \oint \frac{tan \frac{z}{2}}{32(z+2)} + \oint \frac{tan \frac{z}{2}}{32(z-2)} - \oint \frac{itan \frac{z}{2}}{32(z+2i)} + \oint \frac{itan \frac{z}{2}}{32(z-2i)}[/itex]

I can't seem to evaluate it.

This section is before Cauchy's Integral Formula so I can't use that yet.. It only talks about Cauchy's Integral Theorem

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
All you need is the theorem "the integral of an analytic function around a closed path is 0".
tan(z/2) is analytic for all z in the given square and the denominators are 0 only at 2, -2, 2i, and -2i. Again, those are all outside the square you are integrating over.

1. What is Cauchy's Integral Theorem?

Cauchy's Integral Theorem, also known as the Cauchy-Goursat Theorem, is a fundamental result in complex analysis that states that if a function is analytic within a closed contour, then the integral of that function along the contour is equal to 0.

2. How is partial fractions used to solve integrals?

Partial fractions is a method used to simplify complex rational functions into simpler forms that are easier to integrate. It involves breaking down a rational function into its individual components, known as partial fractions, and then integrating each part separately.

3. What are the conditions for using Cauchy's Integral Theorem?

In order to use Cauchy's Integral Theorem, the function must be analytic within the closed contour, and the contour must be simple, meaning it does not intersect itself. Additionally, the contour must be positively oriented, meaning it is traversed in a counterclockwise direction.

4. Can Cauchy's Integral Theorem be used for any type of contour?

No, Cauchy's Integral Theorem can only be used for simple, closed contours. If the contour is not simple, then the integral may not be equal to 0. Additionally, if the contour is not closed, then the theorem does not apply.

5. What are some applications of Cauchy's Integral Theorem?

Cauchy's Integral Theorem has many applications in complex analysis, including calculating residues, evaluating improper integrals, and solving differential equations. It is also used in other fields such as physics and engineering, particularly in the study of fluid dynamics and electrical circuits.