Cause and effect confusion, BJT

In summary, the BJT works in forward and reverse mode and the emitter current sets up collector current. When you forward bias the base emitter diode and reverse bias the base collector diode, and if you assume beta is very high, the collector current is very close to the emitter current. Usually people put a resistor Re between the emitter to ground.
shippo113
Lets take a simple BJR transistor having an Rc.
The Ic = beta*Ib, of course. But Ic=(Vcc-Vce)/Rc as well right?
Now the confusion, does Ib cause Ic or is Ib possible without Ic (and thus no Vcc)? If we have Vcc and thus Vce than we shall have Ic thus we can have Ib=Ic/beta? What causes Vce, is it Ib or Ic. The books don't go into these other perspectives. I can see the equations and that is what is making me confused.

I am confused, where does the process start from...

Why does Vce vary when we put in a signal?

Engineering news on Phys.org
shippo113 said:
Lets take a simple BJR transistor having an Rc.
This is only true if the emitter is grounded

Now the confusion, does Ib cause Ic or is Ib possible without Ic (and thus no Vcc)?
yes, Ib cause Ic, but Ib is possible without Ic. If you leave collector open, you can still get Ib if you forward bias the base emitter diode.

If we have Vcc and thus Vce than we shall have Ic thus we can have Ib=Ic/beta? What causes Vce, is it Ib or Ic. The books don't go into these other perspectives. I can see the equations and that is what is making me confused.

I am confused, where does the process start from...

Why does Vce vary when we put in a signal?

You need to read about what region the BJT is working in. In linear circuit, the BJT work in forward reverse mode where the base collector diode is reverse biased and the base emitter diode is forward biased.

You should not look at the collector voltage alone, more importantly, it's the emitter current that set up collector current. When you forward bias the base emitter diode and reverse bias the base collector diode, and if you assume beta is very high, the collector current is very close to the emitter current. Usually people put a resistor Re between the emitter to ground. For NPN, the emitter is about 0.7V below the base voltage you put on it when it is forward biased. you setup the emitter current by biasing the base and the Ie= (Vb-0.7)/Re. If the base collector diode is reverse biased, the Ic≈Ie.

You work on Ie, not Ic.

Yes, you can have a base current without a collector current.

You could leave the collector wire disconnected and pass a current through the base emitter diode.

(If fact, if you reverse the voltage, the base emitter diode of some transistors behaves like a Zener diode with a breakdown of about 8 volts.)

Now if you apply a collector voltage of more than a volt or so, the collector current will depend on the base current. Doing this has almost no effect on the base current.

If you vary the base current, the collector current, (which is much bigger than the base current) varies in proportion to the size of the base current.

If there is a collector resistor, this varying collector current causes a varying voltage across the collector resistor. This voltage is the output voltage of the amplifier.

Ic = β x Ib is the basic relationship between base and collector current. Rc will impose boundary condition on the maximum collector current. Ic = β x Ib will be true up to the point where Ic is less or equal Vcc/Rc. If you increase base current further collector current will not change. So, Ic = β x Ib ≤ Vcc / Rc.

Let's take a simple BJR transistor having an Rc.
BJR transistor? maybe BJT(adjacent key) ?
Rc being external to transistor i guess you meant, between collector and supply?

Yes of course.

Now the confusion, does Ib cause Ic or is Ib possible without Ic (and thus no Vcc)?
I would say Ib ALLOWS Ic so long as there's a Vcc to pull the current out of the collector(or push it in whichever you prefer)
If we have Vcc and thus Vce than we shall have Ic thus we can have Ib=Ic/beta? What causes Vce, is it Ib or Ic...

Vce is caused by supply, Vcc. Vce is how much supply is left after the Rc takes away its share.

Sorry i sometimes get literal. Used to hang out with English teachers.
But i remember struggling with these concepts myself - i hope this helps.
Not to suggest other answers were not complete or good - just i find if several approaches are offered usually one of them will help make another one click .
That's Synergy.

old jim

I really think looking only at the few equation is too simplistic. I think it is more important to first identify the mode where the BJT is operating in first and foremost. As everyone know, if the Rc is too big, the collector can go into forward bias and all bets are off. OP has to really learn about the forward reverse bias thingy before even talk about the equations.

Cases where collector is open, forward biased ( saturated) is totally different and non of the equation really matter.

For basic understanding of forward reverse biaing, it is the Ie that matter, everything start with the Ie. In this rough approximation, just assume β is very high and Ic≈Ie. All the design is to control Ie, and Ic just follow.

In real life design, we avoid controlling Ic by Ib all together. Instead we use Re ( emitter resistor) to degenerate and stabilize the drift of the transistor. This is too long to explain and I think everyone is trying to answer a specific point here. Get a good basic book like

https://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Principles-Albert-Malvino/dp/0028028333/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1342652479&sr=8-1&keywords=malvino+electronic+principles

This book really explain how to design BJT circuits in a very simplistic way and it work. It is easy to understand, I read it like story books and I use the concept to even design IC in my job before.

Last edited:

1. What is the cause and effect confusion in relation to BJT?

The cause and effect confusion in BJT (Bipolar Junction Transistor) refers to the difficulty in understanding the relationship between the input and output signals in the transistor. This confusion arises due to the complex behavior of the transistor and the variations in its parameters.

2. How does the cause and effect confusion affect transistor performance?

The cause and effect confusion can affect the transistor performance by causing unexpected changes in the output signal, leading to distortion and instability. It can also make it challenging to design and optimize circuits using BJTs, as the desired output may not be achieved due to the confusion in the cause and effect relationship.

3. What are some common causes of cause and effect confusion in BJT?

Some common causes of cause and effect confusion in BJT include non-ideal transistor behavior, temperature variations, and manufacturing variations in the transistor parameters. These factors can lead to unpredictable changes in the input-output relationship of the transistor.

4. How can the cause and effect confusion be minimized in BJT circuits?

The cause and effect confusion can be minimized by using proper circuit design techniques, such as biasing and decoupling, to reduce the impact of non-ideal transistor behavior. Additionally, careful selection and matching of transistors can also help in reducing the confusion and improving circuit performance.

5. Are there any other types of transistors that do not suffer from cause and effect confusion?

While BJTs are known to have cause and effect confusion, other types of transistors such as MOSFETs (Metal Oxide Semiconductor Field Effect Transistors) and JFETs (Junction Field Effect Transistors) do not suffer from this issue. However, they have their own unique challenges and limitations, and the selection of the appropriate transistor depends on the specific requirements of the circuit.