Solving a Meteorite Problem: What Equations Should I Use?

• Thread starter Yoppakung
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Meteorite
In summary: For example, you could try using the following equation: v = rx - y. In summary, the new velocity of the planet is the same size, but as a result of a meteorite impact, the direction of velocity shifts to an angle θ. which is between 0 degrees and 90 degrees if the eccentricity of the planet's new orbit is e'.
Yoppakung
Homework Statement
A planet orbits around a star in an ellipse. eccentricity is equal to e, while at the farthest point from the star a meteorite crashes into it, the new velocity of the planet is the same size. But as a result of a meteorite impact, the direction of velocity shifts to an angle θ. which is between 0 degrees and 90 degrees if the eccentricity of the planet's new orbit is e'. Find
a. e' in term of e and θ
b. what angle will the major axis be rotated?(term of e , θ )
Relevant Equations
-
I don't know what principle or equation should I start thinking. The one I tried was using the law of conservation, but I found that I didn't know the speed of the meteorite. Anyone have any advice on what principles or equations I should use to get started?

Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
Yoppakung said:
Homework Statement:: A planet orbits around a star in an ellipse. eccentricity is equal to e, while at the farthest point from the star a meteorite crashes into it, the new velocity of the planet is the same size. But as a result of a meteorite impact, the direction of velocity shifts to an angle θ. which is between 0 degrees and 90 degrees if the eccentricity of the planet's new orbit is e'. Find
a. e' in term of e and θ
b. what angle will the major axis be rotated?(term of e , θ )
Relevant Equations:: -

I don't know what principle or equation should I start thinking. The one I tried was using the law of conservation, but I found that I didn't know the speed of the meteorite. Anyone have any advice on what principles or equations I should use to get started?
Please show us what you did.

Orodruin said:

Orodruin said:
As for the conservative equation, I can't find any relation to it as to which point is the starting point or which is the last point and now I'm trying to do is try to vector and solve the equation but it seems like I'm on the wrong track as well. Please suggest what principle I should start with and I will try to figure it out myself.

PF rules require you to show your effort, not just vaguely describe it.

You may want to search your textbook for some basic relationships relevant for an elliptic orbit.

1. What is the first step in solving a meteorite problem?

The first step in solving a meteorite problem is to gather all relevant data and information about the meteorite, such as its size, speed, and trajectory. This will help determine which equations to use in the problem-solving process.

2. What are some common equations used in solving meteorite problems?

Some common equations used in solving meteorite problems include the kinetic energy equation, the impact force equation, and the trajectory equation. These equations can help calculate important factors such as the potential damage of impact and the path of the meteorite.

3. How do I determine which equations to use in a specific meteorite problem?

The equations used in a specific meteorite problem will depend on the specific factors and variables involved. It is important to carefully analyze the problem and determine which equations are most applicable to the situation. Consulting with other scientists or experts in the field can also be helpful in determining the appropriate equations to use.

4. Can computer programs be used to solve meteorite problems?

Yes, computer programs can be used to solve meteorite problems. There are various software programs and simulations available that utilize complex equations and algorithms to predict the behavior and impact of meteorites. However, it is still important for scientists to understand the underlying equations and data in order to properly interpret the results.

5. Are there any limitations to using equations in solving meteorite problems?

While equations can provide valuable insights and predictions, they are not always able to account for all variables and uncertainties in a meteorite problem. Factors such as atmospheric conditions and the composition of the meteorite can impact the accuracy of the equations. It is important for scientists to use caution and consider all factors when using equations to solve meteorite problems.