Cell phone making random calls?

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cell Random
In summary, a cell phone could be a virus that is causing the calls, or it could be interference from something plugged into the phone.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Twice now I have been told that my cell phone has called someone without my knowledge. At first I assumed that I had bumped a button but I show no records of the outgoing calls in memory. I'm still waiting to see if the usage shows up on the bill. I have noticed from time to time that the display light comes on spontaneously while the phone is just sitting. I'm not sure what's happening here but it seems to be interesting. Both people could hear me and showed my number on their caller ID.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Virus?

Could be a virus. There have been cases of CELL PHONE/ PDA/ Handheald Computer viruses. Some can even be trasmitted to other devices without anyone knowing (through bluetooth).

The only time that my cell phone has made calls without me initiating them were when I tried to plug in a Nokia handsfree set into my Samsung. It would automatically bring up the recently called list, and call the first number on it. It did show up on my usage bill, too, so the problem may not be the same. It's prolly some interference from a device that's either plugged into your phone, or is near it. Maybe a virus, too.

Did you ever figure it out?

Just wondering, did you ever figure out why your phone made these calls? I ask becuse I am on the receiving end of a cell phone making random calls. I get calls from the same cell phone at all hours of the day and night - at least 3 times a week for the last 6+ months. I can hear people in the background, but there is never anyone on the phone. I've called the guy back a few times to tell him about these phone calls, but he is unaware of them happening. (And of course, the phone company won't do anything)

Were you ever able to stop the calls?

Has someone perhaps cloned your phone?

Wow, this is an old thread. No, never figured it out. I just pitched the phone and got a new one.

1. Why is my cell phone making random calls?

There are a few potential reasons for your cell phone making random calls. One possibility is that there is a software glitch or bug causing your phone to make calls without your input. Another possibility is that there is physical damage to your phone's touchscreen, causing it to register accidental touches. Lastly, it is possible that you have unknowingly activated a feature or setting that is causing your phone to make calls, such as voice commands.

2. How can I stop my cell phone from making random calls?

If your phone is making random calls due to a software issue, try restarting your phone or updating to the latest software version. If the issue persists, you may need to contact your phone's manufacturer for further assistance. If the problem is caused by physical damage, you may need to get your phone repaired. To prevent accidental calls due to touchscreen sensitivity, you can adjust the sensitivity settings or use a screen protector.

3. Can viruses or malware make my phone make random calls?

Yes, it is possible for viruses or malware to cause your phone to make random calls. These malicious programs can take control of your phone's functions and make calls without your knowledge. It is important to regularly update your phone's security software and avoid downloading suspicious apps to prevent this from happening.

4. Is my phone being hacked if it is making random calls?

In most cases, random calls are not a sign of hacking. It is more likely that there is a software or hardware issue causing the calls. However, it is always important to be cautious and monitor your phone's activity. If you suspect that your phone has been hacked, you can contact your phone's manufacturer or a cybersecurity expert for assistance.

5. Can a faulty SIM card cause my phone to make random calls?

It is unlikely for a faulty SIM card to cause your phone to make random calls. However, if the SIM card is damaged or malfunctioning, it may cause connectivity issues which could lead to accidental calls. If you suspect that your SIM card is the problem, you can try replacing it with a new one to see if the issue is resolved.