Center of Force, Generalized Potential

In summary, the conversation revolves around finding the generalized potential for a particle moving in a plane under the influence of a central force. The solution to the problem is found by guessing the potential, but the speaker attempts to derive it using a sum of two potentials. They use integration by parts and treat r as a constant, which leads to the correct answer. However, they question if this is a result of bad mathematics or if their method is justified. They request assistance in understanding this further.
Parmenides
The problem states that a particle moves in a plane under the influence of the following central force:
[tex]
F = \frac{1}{r^2}\Big(1 - \frac{\dot{r}^2 - 2\ddot{r}r}{c^2}\Big)
[/tex]
and I am asked to find the generalized potential that results in such a force. Goldstein gives the following equation involving generalized forces obtained from a potential ##U(q_j , \dot{q}_j)##:
[tex]
Q_j = -\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{q}_j} + \frac{d}{dt}\Big(\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial\dot{q}_j}\Big)
[/tex]
This question is apparently just solved by "guessing" the potential. The answer is:
[tex]
U(r, \dot{r}) = \frac{1}{r} + \frac{\dot{r}^2}{c^2r}
[/tex]
And this can be checked by taking the appropriate derivatives and plugging them into the general Lagrange equation above. However, I want to make sure this is the only way to arrive at it; just making a lucky guess seems pretty unsatisfying. Therefore, I tried the following approach:

Suppose that the generalized potential is a sum of two potentials, namely:
[tex]
U(r, \dot{r}) = U_1(r, \dot{r}) + U_2(r, \dot{r})
[/tex]
Where we consider the following Lagrange equation:
[tex] F = -\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{r}} + \frac{d}{dt}\Big(\frac{\partial{U}}{\partial{\dot{r}}}\Big) [/tex]
Which is just the general Lagrange equation specific to the problem. I then equate the following, on a hunch:
[tex] -\frac{\partial{U_1}}{\partial{r}} = \frac{1}{r^2} [/tex]
and
[tex] \frac{d}{dt}\Big(\frac{\partial{U_2}}{\partial{\dot{r}}}\Big) = \frac{-\dot{r}^2 + 2\ddot{r}r}{c^2r^2} = \frac{-\dot{r}^2}{c^2r^2} + \frac{2\ddot{r}r}{c^2r^2} [/tex]
The first equation is easily solved such that:
[tex] U_1(r, \dot{r}) = \frac{1}{r} [/tex]
But the second equation is where I may be using dubious methods. It stands to reason that:
[tex] \frac{\partial{U_2}}{\partial{\dot{r}}} = \int\Big[\frac{-\dot{r}^2}{c^2r^2} + \frac{2\ddot{r}r}{c^2r^2}\Big]dt [/tex]
I now take an uneasy step. Treat ##r## as a constant such that I pull them out, break up the integral, and write the time derivatives in their proper forms:
[tex] \frac{\partial{U_2}}{\partial\dot{r}} = -\frac{1}{c^2r^2}\int\Big(\frac{dr}{dt}\Big)^2dt + \frac{2r}{c^2r^2}\int\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}dt = -\frac{1}{c^2r^2}\int\frac{dr}{dt}dr + \frac{2r}{c^2r^2}\int\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}dt [/tex]
The second integral is easy to interpret; it's just ##\dot{r}##. But for the first, I use integration by parts and reintroduce the dot notation to get:
[tex] \frac{\partial{U_2}}{\partial{\dot{r}}} = -\frac{1}{c^2r^2}\Big[\dot{r}r - r\int\frac{d^2r}{dt^2}dr\Big] + \frac{2\dot{r}r}{c^2r^2} = \frac{2\dot{r}}{c^2r} [/tex]
where I collected terms of ##\frac{\dot{r}r}{c^2r^2}## and then simplified. The potential can now be solved as:
[tex] U_2(r, \dot{r}) = \frac{2}{c^2r}\int\dot{r}d\dot{r} = \frac{\dot{r}^2}{c^2r} [/tex]
By adding ##U_1## and ##U_2##, I have arrived at the correct answer! But this could be problematic. After all, ##r## is dependent upon ##t##, but I treated it as a constant during my integrations. Thus, my question is: is this a happy accident as a result of bad mathematics or does my method have some justification and I've just left out some details?

Assistance would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm sorry you are not finding help at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us?

What is the Center of Force?

The Center of Force is a point in a system where the gravitational forces acting on all the particles in the system are balanced, resulting in no net force.

How is the Center of Force calculated?

The Center of Force can be calculated using the principle of moments, where the sum of the moments on one side of the system is equal to the sum of moments on the other side.

What is Generalized Potential?

Generalized Potential is a mathematical concept used in physics to describe the potential energy of a system with multiple degrees of freedom, where the potential energy depends on more than just position.

What is the relationship between Center of Force and Generalized Potential?

The Center of Force is the point where the generalized potential energy of a system is at its minimum or maximum, depending on the configuration of the system.

Why is understanding Center of Force and Generalized Potential important?

Understanding these concepts is important in many areas of physics, such as mechanics, electromagnetism, and thermodynamics, as they help us analyze and predict the behavior of complex systems with multiple interacting particles.