Center of mass and Moment of Intertia

In summary, the object is 2 cm thick, has a density of 7800 kg/m^3, and has an angle of pi/6. The object has a moment of inertia of 1/2m[(r1^2)+(r2^2)]*1/12 and the center of mass is located at (r1,r2).
sally21

Homework Statement

The thickness of the object is 2 cm. The density of the material (pronounced row) is 7800. The angle (theta) is pi/6. The radius is .75 meters. What is the moment of inertia and
the center of mass?

Here is what the object looks like:

http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/36721619/file.html

The object is rotating around the origin.

Homework Equations

None given

The Attempt at a Solution

Okay, so I have no idea how to find the center of mass for this object. I know you have to use integration, but the other kid in my class was using triple integration (which is something I don't know and I don't know if he was right any way). So I have no idea how to find the center of mass for this object.

As for the moment of inertia, I think that the moment of inertia will be 1/12 of the moment of inertia of a cylinder. I figure this because pi/6 = 30 degrees. 360/30=12. So I think that the moment of inertia will be:

I= 1/2m[(r1^2)+(r2^2)] * 1/12

this is just the moment of inertia formula for a hollow cylinder and I multiplied it by 1/12.

Thank you very much for helping me in any way!

Physics news on Phys.org
sally21 said:
Okay, so I have no idea how to find the center of mass for this object. I know you have to use integration, but the other kid in my class was using triple integration (which is something I don't know and I don't know if he was right any way). So I have no idea how to find the center of mass for this object.

You don't need triple integration. Instead of using x,y,z coordinates, use "r" instead. You can integrate dm*r, then divide the result by the mass to get the r coordinate of the center of mass.

As for the moment of inertia, I think that the moment of inertia will be 1/12 of the moment of inertia of a cylinder. I figure this because pi/6 = 30 degrees. 360/30=12. So I think that the moment of inertia will be:

I= 1/2m[(r1^2)+(r2^2)] * 1/12

this is just the moment of inertia formula for a hollow cylinder and I multiplied it by 1/12.

That's not right. Think about it this way: if we fill in the missing 11/12 of the cylinder, the cylinder's mass would be 12m.

Oh thank you!

But, I don't really understand how to find the moment of inertia and now I don't know how to find the center of mass. Can you show me how to find it for this problem? I have no idea what dm is.

bumb

anyone know how to solve this?

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point within or outside a body where the mass of the body can be assumed to be concentrated. It is the point where the body would balance if it were placed on a support.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the individual masses within a body. This is done by multiplying the mass of each individual part by its distance from a chosen reference point and then dividing the sum of these values by the total mass of the body.

3. What is the significance of the center of mass?

The center of mass is important because it helps us understand the stability and motion of a body. It is also used in various engineering and physics applications, such as designing structures and analyzing the motion of objects.

4. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated by multiplying the mass of each individual part of a body by its distance from the axis of rotation squared, and then summing these values.

5. How is moment of inertia related to the center of mass?

The moment of inertia of a body is directly related to its center of mass. The closer the mass is to the axis of rotation, the smaller the moment of inertia will be. This means that a body with its mass concentrated at its center of mass will have a smaller moment of inertia compared to the same body with the mass spread out further from the center of mass.