1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center of mass and Moment of Intertia

1. Apr 4, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The thickness of the object is 2 cm. The density of the material (pronounced row) is 7800. The angle (theta) is pi/6. The radius is .75 meters. What is the moment of inertia and
    the center of mass?

Here is what the object looks like:

http://www13.zippyshare.com/v/36721619/file.html

The object is rotating around the origin.

2. Relevant equations
    None given

3. The attempt at a solution
    Okay, so I have no idea how to find the center of mass for this object. I know you have to use integration, but the other kid in my class was using triple integration (which is something I don't know and I don't know if he was right any way). So I have no idea how to find the center of mass for this object.

As for the moment of inertia, I think that the moment of inertia will be 1/12 of the moment of inertia of a cylinder. I figure this because pi/6 = 30 degrees. 360/30=12. So I think that the moment of inertia will be:

I= 1/2m[(r1^2)+(r2^2)] * 1/12

this is just the moment of inertia formula for a hollow cylinder and I multiplied it by 1/12.

Thank you very much for helping me in any way!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2010 #2

ideasrule

Homework Helper

You don't need triple integration. Instead of using x,y,z coordinates, use "r" instead. You can integrate dm*r, then divide the result by the mass to get the r coordinate of the center of mass.

That's not right. Think about it this way: if we fill in the missing 11/12 of the cylinder, the cylinder's mass would be 12m.

4. Apr 4, 2010 #3
    Oh thank you!

But, I don't really understand how to find the moment of inertia and now I don't know how to find the center of mass. Can you show me how to find it for this problem? I have no idea what dm is.

5. Apr 5, 2010 #4
    bumb

anyone know how to solve this?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook