Understanding Center of Mass: Common Misconceptions Explained

In summary, the belief that half the mass is on one side and the other half is on the other is not always correct.
BioGuy
so I am not too sure how to answer a question... ill word it the best i can:

While doing an experiment where we use a Plumb Line and paper object and find the center of mass by letting the string (with mass attached to other end) hand and draw lines that eventually intersect at on specific point. why is it wrong to say that half the mass is on one side and the other half is on the other?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think it is wrong to say that. It sounds logical to me. In the case of a triangle, the centre of mass is the intersection of the medians. So if you hang the triangle and plumb-line from one corner, the plumb-line will hang directly along the centre of the triangle; this therefore indicates that the mass is even on either side.

If the mass were not even on either side of the triangle then the triangle would pivot until it is at equilibrium.

BioGuy said:
why is it wrong to say that half the mass is on one side and the other half is on the other?
The center of mass has to do with how the mass is distributed in space, not merely the amount of mass. In general it's not true that a line passing through the center of mass would divide the mass in half. Example: Imagine a thin stick with a 1 kg mass stuck on one end and a 2 kg mass stuck on the other. Where's the center of mass? Somewhere along the stick, closer to the 2 kg mass. But is the mass equally divided on both sides of the center of mass? No.

(Even for a triangle it's not true, depending on how you draw the line.)

I disagree; If an object is hung from a point, as described, it will come to rest by balancing it's mass evenly towards the centre of the earth. If you were to hang a plumbline on the same point, the plumbline will likewise hang towards the center of the earth. It is the same principle of a pendulum, the mass will accelerate toward its point of balance.

Using a plumbline is by no means accurate, however.

My understanding could be flawed, but as it stands at present I cannot see any other explanation. I would be interested to know why this belief does not stand...

SeanGillespie said:
I disagree; If an object is hung from a point, as described, it will come to rest by balancing it's mass evenly towards the centre of the earth. If you were to hang a plumbline on the same point, the plumbline will likewise hang towards the center of the earth. It is the same principle of a pendulum, the mass will accelerate toward its point of balance.
It's true that if you hang an object so that it's free to rotate about the point of suspension, its center of mass will end up directly beneath the point of suspension. But that does not mean that a vertical line drawn through the point of suspension will divide the mass into equal portions. (It's the torque that has to balance, not the amount of mass.)

1. What is the center of mass?

The center of mass is the point in an object or system where the mass is evenly distributed and the object or system is in perfect balance.

2. How is the center of mass calculated?

The center of mass is calculated by finding the weighted average of the positions of all the individual particles in an object or system. This can be done by multiplying the mass of each particle by its distance from a chosen reference point, then dividing the sum of these values by the total mass of the object or system.

3. What is the importance of the center of mass?

The center of mass is an important concept in physics and engineering because it allows us to predict how an object or system will behave under different conditions, such as when it is in motion or subjected to external forces. It also helps us understand the stability and balance of objects.

4. How does the center of mass affect an object's motion?

The center of mass determines the point around which an object rotates or translates. When an external force is applied to an object, it will cause it to rotate around its center of mass. The position of the center of mass also affects an object's stability and its ability to maintain balance.

5. Can the center of mass be outside of an object?

Yes, the center of mass can be outside of an object if the object is irregularly shaped or has uneven distribution of mass. In such cases, the center of mass may be located in empty space or outside the physical boundaries of the object.