Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Center Tapped LC Circuit

1. Feb 14, 2016 #1
    My objective is to make a lc circuit that will have a potential difference across the inductor that is lower than that of the capacitor. A spark gap must also be used. Will this work and will the resonant frequency be the same as if it was wired conventionally?
    lc circuit.png

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 14, 2016 #2

tech99

Gold Member

For a resonant LC circuit, the voltage across the inductor will always equal that across the inductor. I think your circuit is flawed, although I am not certain if you are indicating a power transformer at the bottom, or an RF transformer of some sort.

4. Feb 14, 2016 #3
    It is a transformer. So such a circuit is impossible?

5. Feb 14, 2016 #4

tech99

Gold Member

As it stands at the moment, you are asking radio frequency current to flow through a power transformer.
    I think that, in principle, a resonant circuit could have an RF transformer between L and C, but I am still unsure about your circuit configuration because the transformer cannot function for RF.

6. Feb 14, 2016 #5
    I see what you are saying now. I'll look into it further and be back. Thank you for your responses..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook