1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centrifugal Force: Are these equal?

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    Good Evening to all,

I have been working on the following problem for the past several days and have finally come to the end of my rope. I hate to admit defeat but I do need some help. I'm almost certain I'm simply missing something thats embarassingly simple....

This is the problem exactly as it appears on the page:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2. Centrifugal force is given by the following equation:

F = m [tex]\omega[/tex]^2 r

Where F = Centrifugal force
    m = mass
    [tex]\omega[/tex] = angular velocity
    r = length of radius

A student told me the other day that centrifugal force on a mass m kg, rotating at an angular velocity of [tex]\omega[/tex] rpm and at a radius of r feet, is given by the following equation:

F = 3.342 x 10^-3 m [tex]\omega[/tex]^2 r [Newtons]

Are both equations correct? Explain?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that this means I need to take the F equation, break it down into its base SI units and build it back up taking the meters to feet and seconds to minutes conversion into consideration.
    I know that the conversion for meters to feet is 3.28084. What am I missing?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2
    Sorry I'd thought I'd manage to find where I was going wrong but apparently not ...

4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    F = kg x .10472^2(rad/sec) x .3048(r)
    F = 3.34252x10^-3 m w^2 r

It was my conversion directions that was causing all the problems.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?