Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Centrifugal Force: Are these equal?

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    Good Evening to all,

I have been working on the following problem for the past several days and have finally come to the end of my rope. I hate to admit defeat but I do need some help. I'm almost certain I'm simply missing something thats embarassingly simple....

This is the problem exactly as it appears on the page:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2. Centrifugal force is given by the following equation:

F = m [tex]\omega[/tex]^2 r

Where F = Centrifugal force
    m = mass
    [tex]\omega[/tex] = angular velocity
    r = length of radius

A student told me the other day that centrifugal force on a mass m kg, rotating at an angular velocity of [tex]\omega[/tex] rpm and at a radius of r feet, is given by the following equation:

F = 3.342 x 10^-3 m [tex]\omega[/tex]^2 r [Newtons]

Are both equations correct? Explain?
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know that this means I need to take the F equation, break it down into its base SI units and build it back up taking the meters to feet and seconds to minutes conversion into consideration.
    I know that the conversion for meters to feet is 3.28084. What am I missing?

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2
    Sorry I'd thought I'd manage to find where I was going wrong but apparently not ...

4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    F = kg x .10472^2(rad/sec) x .3048(r)
    F = 3.34252x10^-3 m w^2 r

It was my conversion directions that was causing all the problems.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook