Centripetal Force / Inclined Plane Question

In summary, the car can travel at a maximum speed of 116.604 km/h on a frictionless circular track if the track's radius is 515 meters.
Dooga Blackrazor
A car is rounding a 515 m frictionless curve in the highway. If the curve is banked at an angle of 12.0 degrees, what is the maximum speed of the car? (1.5)

I achieved an answer of 32.39 m/s or 116.604 km/h . I used an incline plain to find that Fc = mgsin12 and used that to find the answer along with the Fc = mvsquared / radius formula. I made them equal canceled the mass and solved for V - got the answer above. The answer isn't avaliable so if anyone could check it I would appreciate the assistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose we are assuming a circular track?

Fc does not equal mg sin 12
It is actually equal to Fn sin 12

It's a common mistake in centripetal force problems to assume that the normal force is equal to the force of gravity, but in fact it is not. I have attached a diagram that is generic to most centripetal force problems. The normal force is actually the resultant of the centripetal force and gravity.

Attachments

• diagram.JPG
    diagram.JPG
    6.5 KB · Views: 1,543
I think we assume a circular track. Thanks - the diagram is pending approval. Is there a formula for Fn in a centripetal force problem?

Actually, the centripetal force is just a role given to forces (components) acting towards the center, not another force...

Now if we assume a circular track of 515m arc length you can find the radius, and then work the FBD to find v

Normal reaction is to be resolved horizontally and vertically. vertical component balances the weight and horizontal provides the required centripetal force to move the car on the curve.

If the track is frictionless the only speed you get for the car not to slide up or down, what is meant by maximum speed? think....

Oh, I meant a circular track, but I think it is a half of a circle. I think 515 is supposed to be the radius - I could be wrong though.

Maximum speed is Fc = mvsquared / radius formula = by solving for Vsquared you can find the maximum speed (I assume).

Yeah, you're on the right track. Try solving it again and post your answer here and I'll let you know what I got when I solved it.

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, pulling it towards the center of the circle. It is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular motion and is always directed towards the center of the circle.

2. How is centripetal force related to inclined planes?

In the context of inclined planes, centripetal force is the component of the force acting on an object moving along the incline that is directed towards the center of the circular path. This helps the object maintain a circular motion as it moves along the inclined plane.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of centripetal force?

The magnitude of centripetal force is affected by the mass of the object, the speed of the object, and the radius of the circular path it is moving in. The greater the mass and speed of the object, or the smaller the radius of the circular path, the greater the centripetal force required to keep the object moving in a circular motion.

4. How is centripetal force calculated?

The formula for centripetal force is F = mv²/r, where F is force, m is mass, v is velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. This formula can be derived from Newton's second law of motion, which states that force is equal to mass times acceleration.

5. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include the Earth orbiting around the sun, a car rounding a curve on a racetrack, and a washing machine spinning clothes in a circular motion. Any time an object moves in a circular path, centripetal force is at work.