1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centripetal Force Lab Question

1. Jul 2, 2007 #1
    I need help with this lab I'm doing involving swinging a mass in a circle (I'm sure you guys have heard of it). I have to plot a graph of Radius vs. FT^2 and then compare the value of the slope to its theoretical value.

A couple questions:
    Which goes on the y axis? Radius or FT^2?
    How do I ascertain the theoretical value of the slope to compare to?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 2, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is FT^2??
  4. Jul 2, 2007 #3
    I have no clue. I'm just multiplying F with T^2.

I've done some research to help myself, though I still don't know what's going on. Here's the link I found, scroll down to the bottom for the tidbit on FT^2.

5. Jul 2, 2007 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok then. What are F and T^2. Sorry but I can't access links from where I am.
  6. Jul 3, 2007 #5
    I see...the link already gives you what you need. You should already know that Net Force = ma and Net Centripetal Force = mv^2/r. v = 2(pi)r/T, in which T is time. Therefore, all that was done was that using these formulas and plugging in values, the Net Force = ma = mv^2/r = 4(pi)^2Rm/T^2. I dont think its FT^2, I think you're confusing it for just F.
    ---To answer the question about the axes, F goes on the y-axis and Radius goes on the x-axis; consider it as for you increase or decrease the radius, you'll retrieve another value for F.
    ---To explain about the situation with FT^2 being mistaken for F, is that
    FT^2 = 4(pi)^2Rm, which I cant really identify (its not acceleration or the velocity). Using just F is the centripetal force, and you would graph whether F increases as the radius increases (the slope is I suppose deltaF/deltaT). Then again, I'm not exactly completely sure that this is the answer, its just I can not identify FT^2.
    ---If its any help...if it really is FT^2, then the slope should identify FT^2/R, in which it is equal to 4(pi)^2m; if you could find what that means, then you would be able to find out what the slope refers to.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?