Roller Coaster Car Normal Force: 3693 N and -1307 N at Various Velocities

In summary, the roller coaster car has a mass of 1200 kg and its speed remains constant as it passes over a circular hill with a radius of 18 m. The magnitude of the normal force and its direction are dependent on the car's velocity. For Condition A (velocity = 11 m/s), the normal force is 3693 N and its direction is upward. For Condition B (velocity = 14 m/s), the normal force is -1307 N and its direction is downward. The normal force is the opposite of the net weight, which includes the centripetal force.
Theorγ

Homework Statement

A roller coaster car has a mass of 1200 kg when loaded with passengers. As the car passes over the top of the circular hill of radius 18 m, its speed is not changing. What are the magnitude of the normal force and the direction of that normal force with the below conditions?

Condition A = When velocity is 11 m/s
Condition B = When velocity is 14 m/s

Homework Equations

ac = v2/r
Fnet = mac

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already solved the whole problem, but I would like you guys to check if my answers are correct:

Condition A: Fn = 3693 N, Direction is Up
Condition B: Fn = -1307 N, Direction is Down

Physics news on Phys.org
For condition A, i keep getting a larger force upward, and for condition B I keep getting a much larger number than what you got, and I am not sure how you got a negative number to be honest. Try double checking that you squared the velocity and divided by the radius 18m

Did you write the acceleration as negative for both conditions?

No I did not, I used the equations that you gave above. I squared the velocity, divided by the radius, then multiplied by the mass of the roller coaster.

So then should acceleration be negative? I only thought it was negative because I was under the impression that the direction of acceleration was pointing downwards once the roller coaster was at the top of the hill.

Theorγ said:
So then should acceleration be negative? I only thought it was negative because I was under the impression that the direction of acceleration was pointing downwards once the roller coaster was at the top of the hill.

The centripetal force is "supplied" by gravity when the cars are moving slowly. In terms of the net force pressing downwards on the track, the centripetal force is subtracted from the weight (If you speak in hushed tones and mumble quietly about accelerated frames of reference, you may think in terms of centrifugal force which is outward directed and countering gravity in this case)

As the speed increases, so does the centripetal force requirement. Once the available "allotment" of gravitational force is "used up" the cars no longer press down on the rails. Presumably the roller coaster has some method of holding onto the rails (and presumably the occupants are strapped in!), otherwise the roller coaster cars will separate from the rails at higher speeds.

Now, where does this leave us in terms of normal force? If you calculate the total force of the cars downwards then the normal force, being the reaction force of the ground due to the applied force, is simply the negative of that value. The downward directed weight is mg and the centripetal (mumble mumble centrifugal mumble) force subtracts from it, so

So, Fn = -(mg - Fc) .

That means the answers I calculated are reversed? Condition A should be negative and Condition B should be positive?

Theorγ said:
That means the answers I calculated are reversed? Condition A should be negative and Condition B should be positive?

No. Remember, the normal force (reaction force) is the opposite of the net "weight". You did fine.

Related to Roller Coaster Car Normal Force: 3693 N and -1307 N at Various Velocities

1. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object in its circular motion and preventing it from moving in a straight line.

2. How is centripetal force calculated?

The magnitude of centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv²/r, where m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

3. What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

A spinning top, a satellite orbiting the Earth, and a car turning a corner are all examples of centripetal force in action. In these cases, the centripetal force is provided by the tension in the string, the gravitational force, and the frictional force, respectively.

4. Is centripetal force always directed towards the center of the circle?

Yes, centripetal force is always directed towards the center of the circle in which the object is moving. This is because the force is responsible for changing the direction of the object's velocity, which is always tangential to the circle.

5. How does centripetal force affect the speed of an object?

A higher centripetal force will result in a higher speed of the object, as long as the mass and radius remain constant. This is because a larger force is required to maintain the same circular motion at a higher speed.