Centripetal Force with angle problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a ball of mass 0.100 kg moving in a circular motion with 2 revolutions per second. The goal is to find the angle θ that will keep the ball stationary. The equations FC = (mv^2)/r and Tsinθ = (mv^2)/r are used to set up the problem, but it is unclear if the length of the string should be considered the radius or if rsinθ should be used. The exact wording of the question is unknown.
taxidriverhk

Homework Statement

Consider the figure below, a ball of mass m=0.100 kg tied by a string of 0.100 m travels in a circular motion with 2 revolutions per second. Find the angle θ that keeps the ball stationary.
Given: m = 0.100 kg, v = 2 rev/sec L = 0.100 m (radius?)
[PLAIN]http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/9518/unledrht.jpg

Homework Equations

FC = [itex]\frac{mv^{2}}{r}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Let T be the tension force.
y: Tcosθ - mg = 0
x: Tsinθ = mv2/r

The problem is I am not sure if the setup above is right, and should I take the length of the string as the radius? or rsinθ?
Hope you guys can help me, thank you very much, I will be extremely appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't understand the question. If the ball is moving it is not stationary. Is this a pendulum? Is it horizontal or vertical? Please give us the exact wording of the question.

AM

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. It acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's velocity and prevent it from flying off in a straight line.

How is centripetal force calculated?

Centripetal force can be calculated using the formula F = mv^2/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

What is the relationship between centripetal force and angle?

The angle between the centripetal force and the object's path is known as the angle of attack. The larger the angle of attack, the greater the force needed to maintain the circular motion. This is because a larger angle means a greater component of the force is acting against the object's motion, making it harder to maintain the circular path.

Can centripetal force change the direction of an object's motion?

No, centripetal force only acts towards the center of the circle and does not change the direction of the object's motion. It only keeps the object moving in a circular path.

What are some real-life examples of centripetal force?

Some examples of centripetal force in everyday life include a car going around a curve, a bike turning a corner, a satellite orbiting the Earth, and a spinning top. In all of these situations, centripetal force is necessary to keep the object moving in a circular path.