Centripetal Force: Ball in Vertical Circle at Constant Speed

In summary, a ball is swung around in a vertical circle at constant speed and is at its maximum tension when it is at the bottom of the circle. The forces acting on the object at this point are the force of gravity, centripetal acceleration toward the center of the circle, and possibly the weight of the object.
eddyy08
A ball is swung around in a vertical circle at constant speed. Where is the ball when the tension in the rope is at maximum / minimum?
I know where the ball is, how would I explain it?

Physics news on Phys.org
eddyy08 said:
A ball is swung around in a vertical circle at constant speed. Where is the ball when the tension in the rope is at maximum / minimum?
I know where the ball is, how would I explain it?

Welcome to PF.

So where is it at its maximum tension?

Thank you -
at maximum tension its at the bottom of the circle

eddyy08 said:
Thank you -
at maximum tension its at the bottom of the circle

And when you draw a picture at the bottom what forces are acting on the object that tend to make the tension maximum?

Force of gravity, centripetal acceleration toward the center of the circle, and probably something else

eddyy08 said:
Force of gravity, centripetal acceleration toward the center of the circle, and probably something else

The centripetal acceleration of the object is toward the center, but it's caused by the tension pulling up, making the object describe a circular path isn't it? What else is the tension pulling up for - weight? So those two together ...

Is there anything else that you think is acting on the object? I don't see it based on your statement of the problem.

What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is a force that acts on an object moving in a circular path, always directed towards the center of the circle. It is responsible for keeping the object moving in a curved path instead of a straight line.

How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is necessary for an object to maintain a circular motion. In the absence of centripetal force, the object would continue moving in a straight line tangent to the circle.

What is the formula for calculating centripetal force?

The formula for calculating centripetal force is F = mv²/r, where F is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity of the object, and r is the radius of the circular path.

How does the centripetal force change in a vertical circle at constant speed?

In a vertical circle at constant speed, the centripetal force remains constant throughout the motion. This is because the speed of the object remains the same and the radius of the circle also remains constant.

Is centripetal force the only force acting on an object in a vertical circle at constant speed?

No, in addition to centripetal force, the object is also subject to gravitational force. However, in a perfectly circular motion, the centripetal force and gravitational force balance each other out, resulting in a constant speed for the object.