1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Centroid formula homework help

1. Jul 21, 2006 #1
    Ok, I think I've figured this out but the book gives me different answer for my x value:

[tex]y=4-x^2[/tex] [tex]y=0[/tex]

[tex]A= \int_0^2(4-x^2)dx[/tex] A=16/3

[tex]x bar= \frac{3}{16}\int_0^2 x(4-x^2)dx[/tex]

and this comes out to 3/4..The book says 0 for the X-value...where did I go wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 21, 2006 #2

0rthodontist

Science Advisor

Your region goes from -2 to 2 on the x-axis, not 0 to 2.

4. Jul 21, 2006 #3
    ohhhhhh ya..good poinT.

5. Jul 21, 2006 #4
    but wont that give me A=0?

6. Jul 21, 2006 #5
    Well...

[tex]
    A = \int\limits_{ - 2}^2 {\left( {4 - x^2 } \right)dx} = \left[ {4x - \frac{{x^3 }}{3}} \right]_{ - 2}^2 = \left( {8 - \frac{8}{3}} \right) - \left( { - 8 + \frac{8}{3}} \right) \ne 0
    [/tex]

BTW since you're finding the centroid of a 2D solid shouldn't you use a double integral? Or is there some sort of formula that you're already using.

7. Jul 22, 2006 #6
    Alternatively, you can deduce the x-coordinate of the centroid by symmetry.

8. Jul 22, 2006 #7
    oh..ok..No there is a formula..Find A..and then the X and Y coordinates

9. Jul 23, 2006 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, there is a formula: but that doesn't mean you can't use your intelligence!

The "centroid" of a figure is the geometric center. Since you figure is symmetric about the y-axis, obviously the centroid must be on that axis: the x coordinate of the centroid is 0.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?