Finding the Force Exerted on a Log Using Virtual Work Calculations

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of virtual work and how it relates to determining the force exerted on a log by a fireplace thong. The equations given in the textbook are not directly applicable, but the problem can be solved by considering the thong as a series of levers and working with moments and angles. The final solution is determined to be 4 times the applied force.
balogun
Virtual work (fireplace thong)

Homework Statement

http://s2.photobucket.com/albums/y31/bambidurojay/?action=view&current=fireplacetong.jpg

I have been given a fireplace thong and need to determine the force exerted on a log.

Homework Equations

It is in the virtual work chapter of my textbook but I cannot see how the equations they have given me relate to the question.

The Attempt at a Solution

see above

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think of it as a series of levers ( like individual see-saw or teeter-totter )

ps I think you mean 'tong', fireplace thong sounds very painful.

Still can't see how the equation U=intg[F costeta ds] or U=int[M dteta] apply to situation.
help appreciated please.

One has to work with moments (applied force and moment arm). F is applied about A and induces a moment (force) at C. C then applies a moment about D at N.

There are angles involved, since F is applied at some angle with respect to the moment arm (FA). And the force at C (from the moment with respect to AC) acts at an angle with respect to the moment arm CD.

Statically the moments induced by FB must be equal and opposite FA.

Didnt really understand your explanation but i was just playing around with the numbers and seem to have got the anwser

24/17 x17/17 x 17/6=N=4F

thats the right anwser but stiil don't understand it.

1. What is the formula for finding the centroid of a trapezoid?

The formula for finding the centroid of a trapezoid is:
x = (a + b) / 2
y = (h/3) * [(2a + b) / (a + b)]
where a and b are the lengths of the parallel sides and h is the height of the trapezoid.

2. How is the centroid of a trapezoid different from the centroid of a triangle?

The centroid of a trapezoid is the point where the medians of the trapezoid intersect, while the centroid of a triangle is the point where the three medians of the triangle intersect. Additionally, the centroid of a trapezoid divides the medians in the ratio of 2:1, while the centroid of a triangle divides the medians in the ratio of 1:2.

3. Can the centroid of a trapezoid be outside of the trapezoid?

No, the centroid of a trapezoid will always be located inside the trapezoid. This is because the medians of a trapezoid must intersect within the trapezoid for it to be a valid geometric shape.

4. How is the centroid of a trapezoid used in real life?

The centroid of a trapezoid is used in engineering and construction to find the center of mass of structures, such as bridges or buildings, to ensure they are balanced and stable. It is also used in geometry and mathematics to calculate the area of a trapezoid.

5. Can the centroid of a trapezoid be negative?

Yes, the coordinates of the centroid of a trapezoid can be negative if the trapezoid is positioned in a way that the centroid falls on the negative axis. However, the distance between the centroid and the origin point will always be a positive value.