Solving Chain on Pulley: Find Velocity

In summary, the problem involves a 7 kg chain hanging over a small frictionless pulley with unequal lengths on both sides. The chain is initially at an unstable equilibrium and eventually the longer end is 4.2 m down from the pulley's axle. The acceleration at this point is 3.92 m/s^2 and the goal is to find the velocity. Using the conservation of energy equation and considering the center of mass at the level of the pulley, the correct solution is found to be 4.85 m/s.
echao12
[SOLVED] Chain On Pulley

Homework Statement

Given: g = 9.8m/s^2 . A uniform flexible chain whose mass is 7 kg and length is 6 m.
Given: A small frictionless pulley whose circumference is negligible compared to the length of the chain.
Initially the chain is hung over the pulley with nearly equal lengths on both sides, but just unequal enough so that the unstable equilibrium condition will let the chain start to move.
After some time, the longer end of the chain is a distance ℓ = 4.2 m down from the pulley’s axle.

1. Find the acceleration a of the chain when the chain is at this position. Answer in units of m/s2. (I already solved this part, a = 3.92)

2. Find the velocity v of the chain when ℓ = 4.2 m. Answer in units of m/s. (This is the part I need help with)

Homework Equations

Center of mass?
Conservation of energy? U=mgh, KE=(1/2)mv^2

The Attempt at a Solution

mgh = (1/2)mv^2 + mgh

Masses cancel, so:
gh = (1/2)v^2 + gh

initial height of center of mass = 4.2 m
final height of center of mass = 3 m

Plugin values:
9.8 * 4.2 = (1/2)v^2 + 9.8 * 3

Solving for v, I get 4.849742261 m/s
However, this is wrong. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• HW #2.jpg
    HW #2.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 675
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Look again at your energy balance.

Let the zero of potential energy be at the level o the pulley, so the initial CM is 1.5 m below the pulley, and V1 (initial PE) is m*g*(-1.5).

In the second condition, the CM of the chain is lower, ycm=-(1.8*(M*1.8/L)/2+4.2*(M*4.2/L)/2)/M

Then refigure your energy balance.

Thank you very much! apparently I completely misunderstood center of mass.

1. How does a chain on a pulley system affect velocity?

The presence of a chain on a pulley system can affect the velocity in two ways. First, the weight of the chain itself can add additional friction and resistance, slowing down the overall velocity. Second, the length and tension of the chain can affect the distance and speed that the pulley can move, which in turn affects the velocity.

2. How can I calculate the velocity of a chain on a pulley system?

To calculate the velocity of a chain on a pulley system, you will need to know the mass of the chain, the radius of the pulley, and the force being applied to the pulley. Using the formula v = (2πrF)/m, you can determine the velocity of the chain as it moves along the pulley.

3. Does the size of the pulley affect the velocity of the chain?

Yes, the size of the pulley can affect the velocity of the chain. A smaller pulley will have a smaller radius, which means the chain will have to travel a shorter distance to complete one rotation. This can result in a higher velocity compared to a larger pulley with a larger radius.

4. Can the type of material of the chain affect the velocity?

Yes, the type of material of the chain can affect the velocity. A heavier and thicker chain will have more mass, which will require more force to move it and can result in a slower velocity. On the other hand, a lighter and thinner chain will have less mass and can move faster, resulting in a higher velocity.

5. How can I increase the velocity of a chain on a pulley system?

To increase the velocity of a chain on a pulley system, you can either decrease the weight of the chain or increase the force being applied to the pulley. You can also use a smaller pulley with a smaller radius, which will require less force to move the chain and can result in a higher velocity.