Differentiating: Clarifying the Process

In summary, the conversation discusses differentiating a function using the chain rule. The solution involves finding the innermost function, which in this case is sin(x), and using that as the variable u. It is important to think of the innermost function, rather than just the variable x, when applying the chain rule.
DiamondV

Homework Statement

Differentiate
gif.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

du/dx = cos(x) dv/du=cos(u) dg/dv=cos(v)

dg/dx = dg/dv.dv/du.du/dx
= cosx.cos(sinx).cos(sin(sinx))

I know the answer is correct but my issue is in the understanding of the solution given. I understand it all except the u = sin(x). The approach I take is to work from the inside to the outside by finding u as the inner most and g(v) as the outermost. What I don't understand is why isn't u = x? isn't that the inner most?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
DiamondV said:

Homework Statement

Differentiate
gif.gif

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

gif.gif
gif.gif
gif.gif

du/dx = cos(x) dv/du=cos(u) dg/dv=cos(v)

dg/dx = dg/dv.dv/du.du/dx
= cosx.cos(sinx).cos(sin(sinx))

I know the answer is correct but my issue is in the understanding of the solution given. I understand it all except the u = sin(x). The approach I take is to work from the inside to the outside by finding u as the inner most and g(v) as the outermost. What I don't understand is why isn't u = x? isn't that the inner most?
You should never make the substitution u = x, because it's not useful. In that case, all you're doing is changing the name of the variable from x to u. The innermost function of x is sin(x).

Likes DiamondV
Mark44 said:
You should never make the substitution u = x, because it's not useful. In that case, all you're doing is changing the name of the variable from x to u. The innermost function of x is sin(x).
Ah. So I should think of it as the innermost FUNCTION of x not just x. So its all about the functions? What if it was x^2 instead of the x? would the innermost function be x^2?

DiamondV said:
Ah. So I should think of it as the innermost FUNCTION of x not just x. So its all about the functions? What if it was x^2 instead of the x? would the innermost function be x^2?
Yes, because this is a function of x, rather than just plain x.

Likes DiamondV
Mark44 said:
Yes, because this is a function of x, rather than just plain x.
Perfect. Thanks so much!

What is the purpose of differentiating?

The purpose of differentiating is to tailor instruction to meet the individual needs of students. It allows teachers to provide multiple entry points, challenges, and learning experiences to engage all students in the classroom.

What are the key components of the differentiation process?

The key components of differentiation include content, process, product, and learning environment. These components can be adjusted to meet the needs of diverse learners and promote academic growth.

How can teachers differentiate content?

Teachers can differentiate content by varying the complexity, depth, and breadth of the material. This can include providing different resources, using different instructional strategies, and offering different levels of scaffolding or support.

What are some strategies for differentiating process?

Some strategies for differentiating process include using flexible grouping, providing choice in assignments and activities, and using tiered assignments that address the same concepts but at varying levels of complexity.

What are some ways to differentiate product?

Teachers can differentiate product by allowing students to demonstrate their understanding through different forms of expression, such as written work, visual projects, or oral presentations. They can also offer varying levels of challenge and support in the task itself.