Finding the Derivative of y=6/(1+e^-x) at (0,3)

• Thread starter FritoTaco
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Derivative
In summary: Used chain rule here for ##-(1+e^{-x})##Having said that, your work in the line above is incorrect. You should NOT use the chain rule on ##1 + e^{-x}##, at least not at first. The derivative of ##1 + e^{-x}## is simply ##-e^{-x}##.
FritoTaco

Homework Statement

Hello,

I need help finding the derivative. The question wants me to find the equation of the tangent line to the curve

[itex]y=\dfrac{6}{1+e^{-x}}[/itex] at point [itex](0, 3)[/itex]. I'm unclear on when to use the chain rule at certain areas.

Homework Equations

Product Rule: [itex]f(x)g'(x)+f'(x)g(x)[/itex]

Quotient Rule: [itex]\dfrac{g(x)f'(x)-g'(x)f(x)}{(g(x))^2}[/itex]

Chain Rule:

if [itex]y=g(f(x))[/itex]

then [itex]\dfrac{dy}{dx}=g'(f(x))\cdot f'(x)[/itex]

or

if [itex]y=g(u)[/itex] and [itex]u=f(x)[/itex]

then [itex]\dfrac{dy}{dx}=\dfrac{dy}{du}\cdot\dfrac{du}{dx}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Quotient

[itex]y=\dfrac{6}{1+e^{-x}}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{(1+e^{-x})(6)'-(1+e^{-x})'(6)}{(1+e^{-x})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{(1+e^{-x})(0)-(1+e^{-x})(-e^{-x})(6)}{(1+e^{-x})^2}[/itex] Used chain rule here for [itex]-(1+e^{-x})[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{-(1+e^{-x})-6(-e^{-x})}{(1+e^{-x})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{-(1+e^{0})-6(-e^{0})}{(1+e^{0})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=1[/itex]

Book Answer:

[itex]y=\dfrac{6}{(1+e^{-x})}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{(1+e^{-x})(0)-6(-e^{-x})}{(1+e^{-x})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{6(e^{-x})}{(1+e^{-x})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{6(e^{0})}{(1+e^{-x})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{6(1)}{(1+1)^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{6}{2^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{3}{2}[/itex]

[itex]y=\dfrac{3}{2}x+3[/itex]

Everything goes terribly wrong for me when I use the chain rule. Also, at then end, why didn't they square the denominator?

Physics news on Phys.org
FritoTaco said:
Used chain rule here for ##-(1+e^{-x})##
There is no chain rule here: just a sum rule if you want: $$(1+e^{-x})' = 1' + (e^{-x})' = 0 - e^{-x} = - e^{-x} $$

Likes FritoTaco
BvU said:
There is no chain rule here: just a sum rule if you want: $$(1+e^{-x})' = 1' + (e^{-x})' = 0 - e^{-x} = - e^{-x} $$

Thanks, I didn't see that little detail. That helped.

FritoTaco said:

The Attempt at a Solution

Quotient

[itex]y=\dfrac{6}{1+e^{-x}}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{(1+e^{-x})(6)'-(1+e^{-x})'(6)}{(1+e^{-x})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{(1+e^{-x})(0)-(1+e^{-x})(-e^{-x})(6)}{(1+e^{-x})^2}[/itex] Used chain rule here for [itex]-(1+e^{-x})[/itex]
I would never use the quotient rule for a function where the numerator is a constant. I would write ##\frac 6 {1 + e^{-x}}## as ##6(1 + e^{-x})^{-1}## and use the constant multiple rule followed by the chain rule.

Having said that, your work in the line above is incorrect. You should NOT use the chain rule on ##1 + e^{-x}##, at least not at first. The derivative of ##1 + e^{-x}## is simply ##-e^{-x}##.

##\frac d {dx} \left( 1 + e^{-x} \right) = \frac d {dx} 1 + \frac d {dx} e^{-x} = 0 - e^{-x}##
I used the sum rule followed by the chain rule.
FritoTaco said:
[itex]y'=\dfrac{-(1+e^{-x})-6(-e^{-x})}{(1+e^{-x})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{-(1+e^{0})-6(-e^{0})}{(1+e^{0})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=1[/itex]

Book Answer:

[itex]y=\dfrac{6}{(1+e^{-x})}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{(1+e^{-x})(0)-6(-e^{-x})}{(1+e^{-x})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{6(e^{-x})}{(1+e^{-x})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{6(e^{0})}{(1+e^{-x})^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{6(1)}{(1+1)^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{6}{2^2}[/itex]

[itex]y'=\dfrac{3}{2}[/itex]

[itex]y=\dfrac{3}{2}x+3[/itex]

Everything goes terribly wrong for me when I use the chain rule. Also, at then end, why didn't they square the denominator?

Likes FritoTaco

1. How do you find the derivative of y=6/(1+e^-x) at (0,3)?

The derivative of a function at a specific point is given by taking the limit of the change in the function divided by the change in the independent variable as the change in the independent variable approaches zero. In this case, the derivative of y=6/(1+e^-x) at (0,3) is equal to the limit of the change in y divided by the change in x, or the slope of the tangent line at x=0.

2. What is the general formula for finding the derivative of a function?

The general formula for finding the derivative of a function is to take the limit of the change in the function divided by the change in the independent variable as the change in the independent variable approaches zero. This can be written as dy/dx = lim (f(x+h) - f(x)) / h, where h represents the change in x.

3. Why is the derivative of y=6/(1+e^-x) at (0,3) important?

The derivative of a function at a specific point gives us the slope of the tangent line at that point. This can be used to find the rate of change of the function at that point, as well as the direction in which the function is increasing or decreasing. In this case, the derivative at (0,3) gives us information about the behavior of y=6/(1+e^-x) at x=0.

4. Can you explain the steps involved in finding the derivative of y=6/(1+e^-x) at (0,3)?

To find the derivative of y=6/(1+e^-x) at (0,3), we first need to find the limit of the change in y divided by the change in x as the change in x approaches zero. This can be done using algebraic manipulation and the rules of limits. We then substitute x=0 into the resulting expression to find the derivative at x=0. Finally, we can interpret the result as the slope of the tangent line at (0,3).

5. What are some real-world applications of finding the derivative of a function?

The derivative of a function has many real-world applications, such as in physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, the derivative of a position function gives us the velocity of an object at a specific point in time. In economics, the derivative of a cost function gives us the marginal cost, which is important for determining the optimal level of production. In engineering, the derivative is used to find the rate of change of a variable, such as the speed of a moving object or the flow rate of a fluid.