What Function Minimizes Arc Length While Meeting Specific Conditions?

• Thread starter Mandanesss
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Length
In summary: Maybe a parabola?No, it's not that simple. You have to use different functions for different parts of the equation in order to get a minimal length.Arc Length formulaI don't know! I'm completely lost. So far I found the function f(x) = -6x^2+6x gives me an arc length of ~3.249 and satisfies all four conditions. But I'm pretty sure there must be a smaller arc length. Please help me find the smallest possible arc length. Thank you!In summary, the student is trying to find the smallest possible arc length for a function that satisfies four conditions. He is having difficulty because the "area under the graph of f from 0 to 1" is not
Mandanesss

Homework Statement

Find a formula for one function that satisfies these given conditions:

1.) f is continuous on [0,1].
2.) f(0) = f(1) = 0 (exactly).
3.) f(x) is greater than or equal to 0 for [0,1]
4.) The area under the graph of f from 0 to 1 is equal to 1 (exactly).

Calculate the arc length.
Try to find the smallest possible arc length.

Homework Equations

Arc Length formula

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know! I'm completely lost. So far I found the function f(x) = -6x^2+6x gives me an arc length of ~3.249 and satisfies all four conditions. But I'm pretty sure there must be a smaller arc length. Please help me find the smallest possible arc length. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
All I can do is point out that f(x)= 6x2+ 6x certainly does not satisfy all the conditions. The "area under the graph of f from 0 to 1" is 5, not 1!

HallsofIvy said:
All I can do is point out that f(x)= 6x2+ 6x certainly does not satisfy all the conditions. The "area under the graph of f from 0 to 1" is 5, not 1!

The coefficient of the x^2 term is -6. Not 6. So his curve does work. As to the larger problem, it sounds pretty hard. Where did you find it? Are you doing calculus of variations, or might there be some simple trick?

You might try fitting a circular arc to your conditions. Does it give smaller arc length?

Of course, if you do that, it won't be a function. But still. This is like a minimal surface problem (soap films). I used to study that! Long ago. Must. Remember.

You also might want to try fitting a cosh(x) type curve. It's a catenary. Minimizes some other things. It does have the virtue that it MAY BE easy to compute the arc length exactly.

Last edited:
I don't know at what level you are expected to prove this, but you can pick very simple functions since you are only expected to use continuous functions. Try piecewise-linear functions.

(Euler - Lagrange equations show that dy/dx = const minimizes arc length, but you have an additional constraint that makes this result unsatisfactory.)

This question is for Calculus II, we haven't done anything with Euler - Lagrange equations...yet. This question was given to us as class contest (with no prize!).

If you haven't done Euler-Lagrange yet, then you probably don't want to plunge into the formulism. But your geometric intuition along might tell you what kind of curve to try.

What is a challenging graph/arc length problem?

A challenging graph/arc length problem is a type of mathematical problem that involves finding the length of a curve or arc on a graph. These problems often require advanced calculus skills and can be very difficult to solve.

What are some common strategies for solving challenging graph/arc length problems?

Some common strategies for solving challenging graph/arc length problems include using integration techniques, breaking the curve into smaller segments, and using geometric formulas to find the length of each segment.

What makes challenging graph/arc length problems difficult?

Challenging graph/arc length problems can be difficult because they often require a deep understanding of calculus and the ability to apply various mathematical concepts and techniques. They may also involve complex graphs and equations that require careful analysis and manipulation.

What are some real-world applications of challenging graph/arc length problems?

Challenging graph/arc length problems have many real-world applications, such as calculating the length of a river or coastline, determining the amount of fencing needed for a curved property boundary, and finding the distance traveled by a moving object with a changing velocity.

Where can I find resources to help me solve challenging graph/arc length problems?

There are many resources available to help with challenging graph/arc length problems, such as textbooks, online tutorials, and practice problems. You can also seek help from a math tutor or join a study group to work through problems with others.