Change in gravitational potential energy and work done against gravity

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 6K views
Amber3046
Messages
6
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


a 46.0kg child cycles up a large hill to a point that is vertical distance of 5.25m above the starting position find:
a.) The change in the childs gravitational potential energy
b.) The amount of work done by the child against gravity


Homework Equations


delta Eg=mg delta h?
W=delta Eg-g?


The Attempt at a Solution


delta Eg=(46.0kg)(9.80m/s2)(5.25m)
delta Eg=2366.7 J {This number seems too high though, and it wouldn't be the change. I don't know how to get that}
W=2366.7-9.80
W=2356.9J


 
Physics news on Phys.org
The first part is ok, that is the change..

But for the second part, are you sure can do that??
Check the units..., you are subtracting joules from m/s^2
 
Thaakisfox said:
The first part is ok, that is the change..

But for the second part, are you sure can do that??
Check the units..., you are subtracting joules from m/s^2

I don't know if you can do that. It was just my guess, do you know how to do that?
 
what is the formula for the amount of work done that's given in your book. Write all of them
 
Well of course you can't do that. What was your line of thought that got you there? Maybe we can clear it up then ;)
 
Thaakisfox said:
Well of course you can't do that. What was your line of thought that got you there? Maybe we can clear it up then ;)

My line of thought was that I would take the Gravitational Potential Energy and subtract the acceleration of gravity (9.81m/s^2). I don't think that it's right, that was just something I tried.