Change in Impulse and Momentum

In summary, an object of 3.0 kg is projected at a 45° angle and hits the ground after 3.7 seconds. Its change in momentum while in the air can be found by using the equations for constant acceleration and projectile motion. By considering the object's movement in the vertical direction, the initial and final velocities can be determined. The overall change in momentum is zero, but if the final velocity is considered as negative, the change in momentum can be calculated as 108.78 kg/m/s downward. Careful attention to signs is necessary in order to arrive at the correct answer.
Jtappan

Homework Statement

An object of mass 3.0 kg is projected into the air at a 45° angle. It hits the ground 3.7 s later. What is its change in momentum while it is in the air? Ignore air resistance.
_____ kg·m/s downward

Homework Equations

F[tex]\Delta[/tex]T = [tex]\Delta[/tex]P = m[tex]\vec{v}[/tex][tex]_{f}[/tex]-m[tex]\vec{v}[/tex][tex]_{i}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a really basic question i am sure but i am getting thrown off by the 45 degree angle what do I do?

Physics news on Phys.org
The object moves in projectile motion, so you need to use the equations for constant acceleration, and the two projectile equations relating each component of the initial velocity to the initial velocity vector. This will allow you to find the initial and final velocities of the mass. Does this make sense?

No this doesn't make any sense to me at all. I know this should be a very simple problem but i don't know wat to do

Is this question worded exactly as you say? I don't know if we have enough info to solve the problem.

it is worded exactly how it was posted. i copied and pasted it

You have all the information needed to figure out the initial and final velocity of the mass. (It's just a change in momentum question, not really an impulse question.)

I still do not understand how to figure it out. I knwo it is a change in momentum question but i don't know how to do it.

can anybody help on this one?

Start by considering the object's movement in the vertical direction. It moves with constant acceleration, so we can use a kinematic equation. We'd have:

[tex] y = y_0 + v_{0y}t - .5gt^2 [/tex]

And we know that [tex] v_{0y} = v_0sin\theta [/tex]

Now you can solve for the initial velocity, right?

At the point of projection the vertical component of the velocity is vsin(theta). By using angle of projection and time of flight you can find this velocity. Just before the object hits the ground this velocity is the same but the direction is changed. So take one as positive and other as negative and find the change in velocity and hence momentum.

if i took one as postive and one as negative wouldn't they just cancel each other out if they were the same? or is it a negative minus a negative?

Yes. It is a negative minus a negative = positive.

negative minus a negative = a bigger negative

You can work it out on paper and see if it's true on not.

I have been trying to do that. I just don't know how to do it that's why I am having problems with this problem. It is an extremely easy problem, for some reason I cannot figure out how to incorporate the angle into the F(deltaT) = mvf-mvi equation.

You have the mass, all you need are the initial and final velocities. Let's start by using the equation:

[tex] y = y_0 + v_{0y}t - .5gt^2 [/tex]

where [tex] v_{0y} = v_0sin\theta [/tex].

You assume that y is zero, because the object moves up some distance, and comes back down covering that same distance, right?

F(deltaT) = mvf-(-mvi ) = ?

ok then the Vi = 25.6393 roughly .. then what?

Yes, correct. Convert that into the initial velocities in the x and y directions using :

[tex] v_{0x} = v_0cos\theta, v_{0y} = v_0sin\theta [/tex]

and find the final velocity components using [tex] v_f = v_0 + at [/tex]

So far so good?

ok what's next?

You should get 18.13 m/s for the final velocity's x component, and -18.13 for the final velocity's y component. Now we can add them vectorially to get the final velocity:

[tex]v_f = \sqrt{(18.13)^{2} + (-18.13)^{2}} = 25.63[/tex]

Now you can plug that into your equation to find that the overall change in momentum is zero. Does that make sense?

yea that makes complete sense but Zero is not the correct answer. So i don't know what is wrong..

What's the answer given?

it doesn't give me an answer. that's the problem it just tells me whether or not i put in the right answer. It is internet homework.

Hmmm, I suppose if we think of the final velocity as negative we can get a negative change in momentum. Maybe something like -2 X 10^2 kg*m/s, but anything other than zero just seems counter intuitive...

i know... i don't understand it. It is just like a problem where a ball bounces off the wall and you are suppose to find the momentum change. Any other thoughts? Thanks for spending this much time helping me

I'm happy to spend the time, but I'm sorry we didn't arrive at the correct answer. I'll keep thinking it over, and I'll post if I come up with something.

awesome thanks a bunch!

careful about signs...

final momentum in y-direction = -18.13*mass

initial momentum in y-direction = 18.13*mass

what is final momentum - initial momentum ?

the answer wants the momentum downwards... so leave off the minus sign in the final answer.

In the projectile motion y-component of the intial velocity changes, where as x- component remains constant.Therefore change in the momentum of the body = change in the y-component of velocity x mass. If you take final velocity (which is downwards) as positive and intial velocity ( which is upwards) as negative, then change in momentum = [18.13 -(-18.13)]*3Ns

1. What is the difference between impulse and momentum?

The impulse of an object is the product of its force and the time interval in which the force acts. On the other hand, momentum is the product of an object's mass and velocity. In simpler terms, impulse is the change in momentum.

2. How does a change in mass affect the impulse and momentum of an object?

A change in mass will directly affect the momentum of an object, as momentum is directly proportional to mass. However, it will not affect the impulse, as the force and time interval remain constant.

3. What is the relationship between impulse and change in momentum?

The relationship between impulse and change in momentum is described by the impulse-momentum theorem, which states that the impulse of an object is equal to the change in its momentum. In other words, the greater the impulse, the greater the change in momentum.

4. How does the duration of a force affect the impulse and momentum of an object?

The longer the duration of a force acting on an object, the greater the impulse and change in momentum. This is because a longer duration allows for a greater change in velocity, resulting in a larger change in momentum.

5. Can the impulse and momentum of an object be negative?

Yes, both impulse and momentum can be negative. This occurs when the direction of the force or velocity is negative, resulting in a negative change in momentum or impulse. It is important to consider the direction of the force and velocity when calculating impulse and momentum.