1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in Kinetic Energy

1. Nov 17, 2007 #1
    A 4.5 kg block is set into motion up an inclined plane with an initial speed of 8.9 m/s. The block comes to a rest after traveling 6 m along the plane, which is inclined at an angle of 24 to the horizontal. Determine the magnitude of the change in the block's kinetic energy.

I tried Delta K= Work of the Force
    so..

Delta K = mgh but I got it wrong.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 17, 2007 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Delta K = mgh
    What is the value of h you have substituted in this equation?

4. Nov 17, 2007 #3

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

You don't need any such equation to answer the question. Instead: What's the initial KE? What's the final KE? What's the change?

5. Nov 17, 2007 #4
    I did also try Delta K = 1/2mVf^2 - 1/2 mVi^2. The final is 0 since it is at rest and I got -178.222 for the initial. But that was also wrong

6. Nov 17, 2007 #5
    for h I user 6sin24.

7. Nov 17, 2007 #6

Doc Al

The initial KE = + 178.22 J. The change in KE is negative. But note that they ask for the magnitude of the change. (So drop the negative sign.)

8. Nov 17, 2007 #7
    ok, I get that now. Magnitude is just the number and not the sign.

But for the next part it says that (Assumed: The fristional force is constant. Determine the magnitude of the frictional force exerted on the block.)

do I use, Wf = DeltaK + DeltaU?

9. Nov 17, 2007 #8

Doc Al

That will work.

10. Nov 17, 2007 #9
    I don't get it, I'm getting it wrong. a previous question asked for the change in potential energy which I got to be 107.623. So I think I'm using the wrong sign or something...

I tried -178.223 + 107.623 and got -70.61N. I tried it with and without the negative sign and still got it wrong.

11. Nov 17, 2007 #10

Doc Al

That's the work done by friction, in Joules not Newtons. Now find the friction force.

12. Nov 17, 2007 #11
    man..I suck at this physics stuff lol. I forgot that I found the W and not the force. Thx for your help though!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?