Change in pressure when merging tubes

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving two tubes with the same direction and PSI, and merging them into one tube with the same diameter. The question is whether the pressure of the air will double in the merged tube. The solution involves using the Bernoulli equation and considering the volume and velocity of air in each tube. The final conclusion is that the pressure will not double, but instead will increase based on the flow rate and dimensions of the tubes.
Gerald Funk

Homework Statement

hello, I have a problem that I couldn't find a clear answer to. Attached is a diagram of a related problem that explains the problem

Air traveling through two tubes with the same direction have the same PSI (say 75). If you merge the two tubes into a tube with the same diameter as the previous two, what happens to the pressure of the moving air? Does it double?

20z7n6s.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the pressure would double, but I am unsure

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you investigated the Bernoulli equation for this setup? If the tube diameters are all the same, how are the velocities of the air in each section related?

Likes Gerald Funk
I don't know if the original problem is that complicated. Let's say the source of air is two identical air compressors set to the same settings, so the PSI, the velocities, and the volume is the exact same for both tubes.

Apply Bernoulli. Really :smile:

You'll have to put a small bit of thought into deducing the velocity in the merged tube. Assume that the tubes are lying on the ground (you're looking down on them) so there's no change in height involved.

I am still having troubles getting my head around this. The problem is that any time I've used the Bernoulli equation, its only looking at one tube (like a Laval nozzle where one tube gets smaller), but this question has two tubes feeding into one. So this equation:
a71608f0f41473679c7dce52f525d232.png

would need a p3 and v3 somewhere in there, but I can't figure out how to integrate it

You said that the pressure and flow rate in the feeds were identical. Thus each feed moves the same volume of air into the exit tube per unit time. Knowing the dimensions of the tubes, that should allow you to determine what the flow rate (hence velocity) must be in the exit tube. A flow streamline can be chosen in one feed tube and followed to the exit tube. We assume no turbulence, hence laminar flow. Apply Bernoulli to that streamline. Two velocities, two pressures. You know the two velocities and one of the pressures...

1. How does the change in pressure occur when merging tubes?

The change in pressure when merging tubes is due to the conservation of mass. As the flow from two tubes combines into one, the total mass of the fluid remains constant, but the cross-sectional area decreases, causing an increase in velocity and a decrease in pressure.

2. What factors affect the change in pressure when merging tubes?

The change in pressure when merging tubes is affected by the velocity and mass flow rate of the fluid, as well as the size and shape of the merging tubes. The viscosity of the fluid and any obstructions in the tubes can also impact the change in pressure.

3. Is the change in pressure always the same when merging tubes?

No, the change in pressure when merging tubes can vary depending on the specific conditions, such as the angles and sizes of the tubes, the fluid being used, and any external factors like temperature or altitude. However, the change in pressure will always follow the principle of conservation of mass and energy.

4. What happens to the fluid's energy when there is a change in pressure during tube merging?

The fluid's energy remains constant during tube merging as per the law of conservation of energy. As the pressure decreases, the velocity increases, and vice versa. This maintains the total energy of the fluid, but it is redistributed between pressure and velocity.

5. Can the change in pressure during tube merging be controlled?

Yes, the change in pressure during tube merging can be controlled by adjusting the fluid flow rate, tube sizes, and angles. Additionally, using devices such as valves or pumps can help regulate the pressure and maintain a steady flow through the merged tubes.