1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change in Velocity

1. May 29, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A car's velocity changes from 13.9 m/s east to 12.8 m/s northeast. What is the change in it's velocity?
    It's a 4 marker.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly, I don't really know how to start this. I know it's a vector difference and I've drawn the diagram which isn't too tough. The fact that I'm using a negative vector is throwing me off.

Could anyone nudge me in the right direction?

2. jcsd
  3. May 29, 2012 #2
    How are you using a negative vector?

4. May 30, 2012 #3
    Vector subtraction?

v2-v1= v2+(-v1)

So does the 13.9 m/s here, not turn into a negative value?

5. May 30, 2012 #4
    It's the length and direction of the vector that goes from the first velocity to the second velocity. The difference vector isn't so much 'negative' as merely heading in a different direction.

6. May 30, 2012 #5
    If you have studied about vectors and unit vectors then try finding unit vectors along north and north east.
    Unit vectors have zero magnitude of 1 and a direction
    So, vector(v) = magnitude(v) * direction (v)
    Or, vector(v) = magnitude(v) * unit vector (v)

Just subtract the two vectors you get to get the final vector, and then find its magnitude.

PS: you wil always get a positive change as magnitude of a vector is always positive.

7. May 30, 2012 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You subtract. Subtract vectors. One way to do that is to write each vector in north and east "components"- ie < 13.9, 0> for the first vector and <a, b> for the second vector where [itex]\sqrt{a^2+ b^2}= 12.8}[itex] and, because "northeast" has equal parts "north" and "east", a= b.

Alternatively, you could do this "trigonometrically". Represent each velocity vector as a line, "13.9 m/s east" of length 13.9 to the right, and "12.8 m/s northeast" of length 12.8 making an angle of 45 degrees with the first line. The "difference" is the third side of that triangle.

8. May 30, 2012 #7
    Ahh so "Northeast" represents an exact angle of 45 degrees? I had a hunch of this, but couldn't find it anywhere. That helps a lot!

Thanks everyone else for your help too!

9. May 31, 2012 #8
    yes NE means 45 angle with both north and east direction,

10. Jun 17, 2013 #9
    Something about the question is throwing me off...

Using vector subtraction I get 62° (61.8°) North of East -(Xtotal =4.85 m/s East & Ytotal =9.05 m/s North)
    Using trigonometry I get 62° (61.8°) North of West

I think the second answer is right (North of West), not sure though.
    Can anyone help explain what I'm doing wrong?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted