1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Change of basis

1. May 9, 2008 #1
    consider the basis B={1,x,x^2} and B'={1,1-x,x^2-4x+2} for R2[x]. Find the change of basis matricses [id]B'toB and [id]BtoB'

Really stuck on this! anyone can help me please????

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2008 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What have you done to start with? What do you know about writing linear transformations as matrices to begin with?

One of the things you will need to do is write the vectors in basis B as linear combinations of the vectors in base B'. Can you do that?

4. May 10, 2008 #3
    I have done nothing to start with and don't know what to do as I missed this part of the course!

5. May 10, 2008 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then you should not be doing this problem until you have talked to your teacher or at least reviewed this in your text book.

6. May 10, 2008 #5

Defennder

Homework Helper

Firstly do you know what does "change of basis" mean in the first place? I found something online which you may want to read through:
    http://www.math.hmc.edu/calculus/tutorials/changebasis/

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?